We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

Hubby and I will have a one night stay at the Ruthin Castle before our next one-night stopover in Stratford-upon-Avon, in May this year.

Tripadvisor is so fantastic with so much helpful advice for the towns we'll be visiting, but I haven't known how to search for suggested routes between places.

In this example we'll be checking-out of the castle by 11am and it doesn't matter if we don't reach Stratford-upon-Avon until evening time. Google maps tells me that the driving time between the two, taking the most direct route, is around 2h30m.

Are there a couple of places along the way that are "not to be missed" - something that might make the day memorable for something other than the drive itself? I realise it's very subjective, but we don't have any particular likes or dislikes. We equally as likely to enjoy visiting tourist-traps as we are to discover some out of the way place that's not on the usual tourist map.

I'm hoping this is the right forum for this question, but happy to take advice if not!

Thanks in advance :)

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
518 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

I would go via the Horseshoe pass to Llangollen for a quick stop and wander round the town, along the river, a look at the canal and the steam railway. Then down the A5 to Shrewsbury, try and skirt all the Birmingham bit and go via Worcester, maybe stop there, then across to Stratford. The A49 from Shrewsbury down to Leominster is scenic and dotted with historic little towns, but further out of your way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

Its quite a long drive so I would not meander too much and generally, getting closer to your destination before slowing up is more restful. I agree route via Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth and maybe Worcester. Google Much Wenlock or Bridgnorth for small towns to stop at for a walk around and lunch. How about taking in a house after lunch? Harvington Hall is on your way and not too big, and get you on the mood for things Elizabethan. That would make a nice day.

Or just aim to see Worcester Cathedral on the way. Depending on your itinerary, if you have not seen more than one Cathedral City, Worcester is another good one.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

Hi,

lelogthecat mentions "a look at the canal". A little further West from Llangollen is the Pontcysylite Aqueduct which is well worth a short stop.

Bob

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

If staying in Ruthin will you have visited Chester? If not it is a must see., compete cicuit of Roman/ medieval walls, unique two tiered Medieval streets, amphiheatre, River Dee.

The drive from Ruthin to Chester via Loggerheads has breathtaking views if the Clwyd Valley. You could then rejoin the suggested A5 route via Shrewsbury by leaving Chesterbon the Wrexham Roar or make for the M6, M 5, M42 motorway route

London, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

I said ts a long drive. Its more than three hours by the route we are suggesting. The two and a half is a motorway route.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

Two suggestions for a stop would be Witley Court or the Brockhampton Estate. Both would tie in with the borders route south via some lovely Shropshire scenery.

Witley Court is a huge house - now a shell after a fire in the 1930s with a large restored garden:

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1077145…

Brockhampton has a timber-framed house dating back to late 1300s with a gatehouse from the 1500s in a "picture postcard" setting :

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brockhampton-estate/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186301-…

Either would probably add less than an hour's travel time and you could spend anything from an hour to several at each. If you choose Witley Court there is an interesting church attached and independent tea rooms adjacent to that - both outside the English Heritage area, but with your ticket you can go out & back in.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
555 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

Chester and Shrewsbury are both wonderful places, but really demand a longer exploration than you will realistically have time for. You should be able to do the whole journey without having to resort to motorway driving, which will make for a much pleasanter day altogether. There are some lengthy roadworks on the M6 to the north of Birmingham, which makes an already tedious, stressful and congested drive even worse, so you would do well to make your way south keeping to the west of the M6/M5 corridor for as long as possible.

I'd endorse the suggestion to head for Llangollen initially, where you can pick up the A5, which is a decent-standard road and which will lead you in exactly the right direction you need. The A5 will lead you around Shrewsbury, and you can either go south on the A49, towards Church Stretton and Ludlow (which would make for a great lunch stop), or stay on the A5 a short distance further and then take the A458 to Much Wenlock and Bridgnorth. Bridgnorth is a fascinating town, standing high above the River Severn, with a good sprinkling of black-and-white buildings, and would make another good lunch stop.

Scenically, the A49 route is more impressive, as you will pass through the Shropshire hills around Church Stretton (and Ludlow is one of the country's finest small towns; a real foodie's paradise as well). This is a slightly longer route, mileage-wise, but it's a close call as to which would be the best option. Either way, you'll next need to head for Kidderminster if you're following the most direct route, and from there via Bromsgrove and Alcester to Stratford. The western route from Ludlow will take you up and over Clee Hill, from where there are huge views over goodness knows how many counties, and then via Cleobury Mortimer, yet another lovely little town with a Chesterfield-type crooked church spire. Maybe an afternoon tea stop?

You could extend the day by taking in Worcester, depending on how the time's going, but again, it's somewhere that probably warrants a longer visit than you're likely to be able to manage.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

Wow, so much information, thank you all so much! It's rude of me not to acknowledge you all individually, but it is 6am here and I haven't yet finished my morning coffee. It will take me a good while to digest all your suggestions, and I look forward to doing that.

We will have already spent 2 nights in Chester before our night in Ruthin, we've already heard how wonderful Chester is, and ChesterBuff you may well see me on your that forum soon :)

My great-uncle served on the HMS Shropshire during WWII, so I'm glad to be passing through Shropshire, not so much for the history, just because I'm sentimental like that. And special thanks to Bob for mentioning the aqueduct - hubby will love that (if I tell him about it!).

Fawlty Towers (John Cleese was in my city of Hobart last week and wants to bring his wife back for an extended stay), you have given me some wonderfully detailed options thanks.

I can't see much work being done in the office today with all this new research to do...

Thanks so much

9. Re: Suggested driving route from Ruthin to Stratford-upon-Avon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:19