We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Conwy Castle

Borgo San Michele...
5 posts
Booking Conwy Castle
Save

Hi,

i'll be visiting Conwy Castle and i'd like to know if it necessary to book in advance your tickets, or if it is also fine to buy tickets at the castle on the same day.

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
14 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Booking Conwy Castle
Save

Conwy Castle is a big site. I can't see it getting so full that tickets aren't available as a walk-up.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Booking Conwy Castle
Save

Last time I visited it was during the pandemic 'limited number' /time slots era, when it was sometimes necessary to book the most popular times, and the booking system was very clear, and it would tell you how many spaces were left.

Just been to check what the system, if any, is right now and I can't get the website to even lead me to a page to book ....'Book Admission ' leads to a page for all the. Properties, you have to go onto the second page for Conwy Castle .... and then it's not working on my device.

https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/conwy-castle#prices

In general, you probably don't need to book in advance; it's a very large place. However we're just starting the school summer holiday, so if you're going in the next 6 weeks I would be inclined to ring them a few days beforehand to check.

Borgo San Michele...
5 posts
3. Re: Booking Conwy Castle
Save

Yeah true, the website for booking tickets doesn’t work, that’s why i asked this. I’ll probably buy tickets on site, since i’m going to be there at the end of August and i don’t think it’s going to be that crowded few days before the reopening of schools (i know it’s quite early now but since the website wasn’t working i just wanted to make sure how admission worked). Anyway, thank you so much for your infos!

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
425 reviews
933 helpful votes
4. Re: Booking Conwy Castle
Save

Have a look at this website which confirms

"You no longer need to book tickets before visiting Cadw sites, however some of our staffed sites will continue to offer online tickets."

https://cadw.gov.wales/our-re-opening-guidance

It rather sounbds as if they haven't got round to updating their websites...

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
28,832 posts
42 reviews
139 helpful votes
5. Re: Booking Conwy Castle
Save

When we recently visited Conway Castle, we simply rockedup and bought entry tickets there and then (which is what we do for most places in UK, even though too many frustratingly try to push unnecessary pre-booking).

I cannot think of any reason to pre-book Conway Castle.

PS - Castle Hotel is quite good for a lunch. Historic and a bit quirky (in a good way), we enjoyed it.

Llandudno Junction...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
343 reviews
341 helpful votes
6. Re: Booking Conwy Castle
Save

The walkways, steps up the towers, etc are made of stone that's been worn very smooth over the past 800 years so they can get quite slippery in wet weather. Unless you're only in Conwy for one day I'd wait and see what the weather is like and try to visit on a day when it isn't raining. If you book in advance you might be committed to a day when it's pouring with rain.

Reply to: Booking Conwy Castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Conwy
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.