We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conwy... not for us

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Topic
Conwy... not for us

First... let me preface by saying that I'm sure that other people who have visited Conwy have had a much different experience than we did. That being said...

The B&B we stayed at was great (Bryn B&B)... no complaints there. However, our experience with the locals at the pubs was less than enjoyable. The vibe we got was "get the hell out of our town".

We stopped at a pub to eat. We walked in... no hello... no eye contact... no acknowledgment whatsoever. I went to the bar to ask if they were still serving pub food and the answer I got was "NO, why else would I have the sidewalk sign folded up?". There were about 5 people at the bar (I assume locals). No eye contact or conversation from any of them. So... we left.

We stopped at another pub that was still serving pub food... we walked in and waited at the bar. No eye-contact, no acknowledgment, nothing. We stood at the bar and proceeded through the line... the woman behind the counter was friendly with the other people in line... however, she didn't say a word to us... nor did she acknowledge our existence... and again... no eye-contact. We were in line for a good 10 minutes while she chatted it up with everybody else in line (again, locals).

Walking on the streets of Conwy... same experience. Just an overall "you're not welcome in our town" vibe.

We spent a week in the UK... we never experienced any of this "get the hell out of our town, tourists" attitude from any other town during our stay.

The castle is spectacular... but, in my opinion and experience, that is the ONLY thing Conwy has going for it. We will never be going back to Conwy again.

Note: I frequently read reviews and forums and come across negative posts (like the one I just posted above)... and I think to myself... "This guy is one of those people that can never be please"... I am not that guy.

I'm telling you right now, there are SOOOO many other places to visit if you're looking to see castles and pub crawl. Stay the hell away from Conwy if you're expecting local hospitality. It's a pissed off little town.

Monroe, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Conwy... not for us

Honestly when I was in Conwy, my favorite part was the people. Granted, my experience was quite different; we didn't go in any pubs (which might have a lot to do with it), but we did go to some shops and to a folk music club (the only thing open on Friday nights in Conwy in February, apparently) and everyone was incredibly nice and welcoming in these places at least. There were also very few tourists around during that time, but especially in the music club, everyone was thrilled to have guests and were very hospitable.

Not to oppose the original post in any way--just wanted to share what my personal experience was.

42. Re: Conwy... not for us

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:31
Get answers to your questions about Conwy