We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

Which Llangollen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

hello all;my wife and I,and our two ramrod boys(age 11,and 8) are landing in manchester april 6,and staying in liverpool.the main reasons for our coming your way is #1 beatles#2 -to see some world class football(getting tickets is turning into a challenge), and #3 is castles.whatever else presents itself is a bonus.anyway joana has recommended that we take a trip to northern wales--and the more I check it out--we're pumped about driving down to wales for a three day castle-hunting trip.can anyone suggest a 3 day foray into wales from liverpool and recommending places to see and places to stay.we are not 'fancy' people-good food and clean accomodations,with friendly people are all we need.oh yes we are known to our friends as 'the Griswalds' of chevy chase-vacation movies--so we are quite the clumsy bunch.so don't recommend hiking at the top of some 400 ft cliffs--because we will all die--thats the long and short of it..anyway thanks for your input..we await your replies...the cabinman

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

1) Take the A55 along the North Wales coast, you'll end up very near Conwy Castle. The road used to go through the town, now it tunnels under the River Conwy so you'll have to divert (follow the brown signs). Next along the road Penrhyn Castle, a 19th century fantasy palace that predates Disney's effort in Florida, onwards to Caernavon, historically the Edward I fortress now used as the place for the investiture of the Prince of Wales, finally head over to the Isle of Angelsey to visit Beaumaris Castle, an unfinished masterpiece in strategic fortifications dating from the late 13th century.

2) Try getting football tickets for matches at nearby Wigan. They are also a Premiership club and only 30 miles from Liverpool, and currently above them in the league.

3) Try putting this question on the Wales or Liverpool forum. Although it appears on the U.K forum list it may also get the attention of people who just look on the Wales list which will be considerably more than those who just glance at the Llangollen questions.

Hope this helps, and I wish you a wonderful vacation, nothing at all like the Griswalds. Oh, by the way, why does the daughter in those movies remind me so much of Kelly Osborne??

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

comwy, caernarfon and beaumaris are quite good castles to visit.. i prefer beaumaris as it also hasa gaol which u can visit and the hanging courts if i remember correctly-ideal for the boys to nosey around-

there is a nice mountain walk u can do that has no edges to it just a lake and a river that runs past which is called Llyn Idwal(idwal's lake) in the Ogwen Valley take the A55 from Conwy towards Bangor and turn off at junction 11 i think for Bethesda which takes u up towards the mountain ranges of Snowdonia- it has a clear path that u can take and takes all of about 30-40 mins to walk up to the lake and its safe for the boys to walk up in front of u.

it take under 2hours to get from liverpool to caernarfon and beaumaris-

since u are in north wales why dont u go over to Dublin for the day? u can catch the 8.55am stena fast ferry from HolyHead to Dun Laighourie (sp?) and catch the 4.30pm i think it is back, cost per person is about £16 as a foot passenger which also contains the DART train into Dublin itself- journey is 99mins each way- just a thought?? i think u can also get the ferry from liverpool docks over to ireland too-but not sure.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

A few alternatives for castles is to head south from Caernarfon to Porthmadog, (close to is Criccieth castle) where there is a narrow gauge railway and Portmeiron village - an italian styled village featured in a 60s UK Tv series - the prisoner? Further round the bay there is Harlech castle a very impressive site overlooking Cardigan bay. There is also thr train up Mount Snowdon to consider.

On the football front you'll have Liverpool and Everton, and close by Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan and the 2 Manchester teams. When you arrive the season is coming to a close with 4-5 games left in the premiership, so depending on how the teams are doing then will give the ease of getting a ticket.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

Chester don't miss the river, the roman ruins and the city walls also a walk around the shopping area great buildings, look for the park and ride signs before entering Chester, saves hunting around for a car park which are usually full, by the time you finish in Chester probably late afternoon.

take the A55 to Conwy, accommodation in Conwy

Spend some time in Conwy, the castle the harbour the smallest house in the Britain, maybe a walk around the walls, a bit tricky watch those kids of yours don't fall off.!

Conwy castle http://www.castlewales.com/conwy.html

spend some time in Llandudno your kids will love it here

The Pier, Great Orme Tramway, it is Britain's only cable hauled tramway that still uses the original Victorian carriages,also the cable car I would recommend you take one of these to the top parking is expensive and also you may find it a bit scary driving up there, a narrow road, also up on the Orme is Bronze Age Copper mines.

Drive form Conwy to Betws y coed, pass the Swallow Falls on to Snowdon area

Snowdon mountain railway http://www.snowdonrailway.co.UK/

there is also a scenic steam train from Porthmadog to Ffestiniog

Beddgelert is a lovely charming village with Gelerts grave, bbc.co.uk/wales/…myth-gelert.shtml

and the Sygun Copper mines, I think you kids would probably enjoy these more than the Orme copper mines.

Other castles worth seeing are Caernarfon, Harlech, Beaumaris

snowdonia-information.co.uk/maps/castles.htm map of Castles easier to plan your journey.

these are some of the places I think would interest you with kids, I know you are not going to fit all of this in, depends how long you spend in these places, best for you to choose which you would like to see the most, I would just see perhaps two of the Castles

I would stay one night in Conwy and then one night somewhere in the Snowdon or Porthmadog area.

Enjoy

joana

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

thanks joana;I know we will enjoy your neck of the woods-and I thank you very much.if you ever want to travel to canada-I can be a wealth of knowledge-as you have been for us.we live in whitecourt alberta,which is 200 km away(thats very closeby in canadian terms) to jasper in the canadian rockies--and we see alot of british tourists.and thanks again..the cabinman

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

I will keep that in mind cabinman, we would like to tour around your part of the world in the near future.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

hey joana;whats the stoey with ruthin castle?is it worth a visit??...the cabinman

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

Hello Cabinman, Ruthin Castle originally dates from before 1277

http://www.ruthincastle.co.uk/

The old castle is still accessible to guests of the castle, (hotel)

The ruins include the battlements, the whipping pit, drowning pit and the dungeons, I am not sure, if you are not a guest that you would be able to see the castle remains, you would need to check this out with the hotel.

You can email them--- reception@ruthincastle.co.uk

Ruthin is a small town in the middle of rural Wales, quite a charming little place

I would say it is worth a visit if you are interested in the place and area.

UK Liverpool
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

Just to warn you (or perhaps give you a little insider knowledge?) the Grand National takes place in Liverpool on the 8th April 2006 so accomodation will be at a premium and all the taxi drivers will be ready to rip off all none-Scousers! (I'm such a cynic. In fact they will rip off anyone). If you're unsure what the Grand National is, do a search. The worlds greatest horse race is quite a spectacle.

Agree with all the other comments, especially about Llandudno. Why not stay in Ruthin Castle? Rates are reasonable. Do a search for the web site. Good Luck, Jeff

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 day trip into north wales from liverpool

Rhuthin is a lovely little place, and if you decide to go there your children would probably like a trip to Rhuthin Gaol.

Just opposite the entrance to the Gaol is the Watergate Cafe, which has the very best Welsh Rarebit - we visit North Wales a few times a year, and my husband always insists on going there so that he can rave about it : he never orders anything else.

Hope you enjoy North Wales - it's beautiful.