We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip on th Aqueduct

Which Llangollen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
397 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip on th Aqueduct

Hi

Has anyone done this? I think there are choices betwen 45 minutes horsedrawn (but not on the Aqueduct???0 and then a couple of 2 our options...but they don't open up booking until 2 weeks before...and we'llbe travelling then!! Is this a worthwhile thing to do?

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip on th Aqueduct

We live near Llangollen and have done various combinations of the activities you describe. I arranged the 2 hour option for my Mum's 75th birthday last August. The fact that tickets don't go on sale very early was a stress as we had quite a large party of people and wanted everything to go smootly on her special day. It worked out OK in the end though.

I enjoyed the part of the trip where we went over the aqueduct, but that was over quite quickly. There was some beautiful scenery along the way, but I felt quite claustrophobic at times because there's not a huge amount of room on board and it's totally enclosed. My daughter was 2 at the time and she was very fidgety! The horse drawn boat trips are very pleasant and you get a good view of the famous International Eisteddfod field on the way. Have done this the past 2 years with my daughter's day nursery. If the weather's nice, they roll the sides up on the boats so more airy.

If you are travelling by car, you could park at Trevor Basin and walk across the aqueduct (if you can manage it!). You could then drive into Llangollen and go on a horse drawn boat trip (or walk along the towpath from Trevor but it's a fair old stretch).

The cafe at Llangollen Wharf where the boats depart from is lovely. If it's a nice day, you could sit outside on the terrace which looks down over Llangollen (nice view of river and steam trains).

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
397 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip on th Aqueduct

Jester Jo...thanks so much - I didn't realsie you could walk it. I know I'll freak ('cause the height will get to me) but husband will love it and will live bwhind his camera! We've got an eight year old so I think he will prefer to Horse Drawn option. We're travelling from Cornwall then have 4 nights in Conwy so think we will stay in Ludlow overnight then stop in Llangollen on the way to Conwy?? Have you got any more ideas for us?

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
655 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip on th Aqueduct

I attempted to walk over & managed a third of the way, at least on the towpath side there are railings to hold onto. Lovely views from up there though.

North Wales
Level Contributor
524 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip on th Aqueduct

The Aqueduct is not for the faint hearted. The railings have quite wide gaps between them & there is no rail at all on the canal side. But I agree it might be best to visit on foot.

You could also stop a few miles away at Chirk where there is asmaller aquaduct leading into a long (and very dark) tunnel.

At Llangollen you could ride on the Llangollen Railway see www.llangollen-railway.co.uk

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip on th Aqueduct

I can recommend Stokesay Castle near Craven Arms if you enjoy looking around old buildings - it's a real gem and not far from Ludlow en route to North Wales. The canal tunnel at Chirk is very interesting as Gog1 mentioned, and nearby Chirk Castle (National Trust) is a very pleasant place to stop. One final thought ... if you want to drive to Conwy via the scenic route, head out of Llangollen towards the Horseshoe Pass (A542). The views are breathtaking! You can head down the A525 at the top of the pass to rejoin the main road network if you want to speed up the rest of your journey.

Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
575 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip on th Aqueduct

I'm terrified of heights but force myself to do these things as I'd hate to go all that way and miss out. I went half way across and took photos, but must admit that the lack of railings on the canal side was very unnerving.

Have also done the horse-drawn trip and loved it. So placid without any engine noise. We were there in July and didn't pre-book, but had no dramas, though from memory we were there quite early, possibly for the first trip of the day. Beware of low-flying ducks :)))

7. Re: Day trip on th Aqueduct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Llangollen