We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from holyhead to manchester airport?

Which Holyhead hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow, Idaho
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
train from holyhead to manchester airport?

Is there a train that can get me from holyhead to the manchester airport in time for an 11:30am flight? If not, what is the latest train out of holyhead the night before? My flight leaves on May 27th.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from holyhead to manchester airport?

Doesn't look like it, I'm afraid.

You're travelling on a Sunday when there is a reduced service just about everywhere in the UK and in many places track maintenance means that the train becomes a replacement bus service.

Try this

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

for details.

The first train gets into Manchester Piccadilly at 11 o'clock which is way too late for your check-in and you've still got to get to the airport.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from holyhead to manchester airport?

The latest train to Manchester is at 20:35. This gets you into central Manchester after midnight and you still have to get to the airport and find somewhere to stay. Any chance you can either go earlier, perhaps spend an evening in Manchester, or drive? Presumably you're tied to ferry times.

If you hire a car, then you can drive to Chester (an easy drive and a fine city) then drive to the airport the next morning in light traffic. The M56, which is close to Chester goes straight to the airport. With a sufficiently early start from Holyhead, which has little to linger for except the nearby South Stack area which will be at its best for cliff-nesting sea birds, you could even spend an hour or so admiring the castle and walled town of Conwy or the Victorian sea-side resort of Llandudno on the way.

Island of Anglesey...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from holyhead to manchester airport?

Hi--The answer if using trains NO not possible on Sundays, from Holyhead. Plenty of runs on saturday to Manchester, the last at 20.05. That is the connecting train for the last HSS boat from Ireland.

Better if you can do the trip earlier. For accom in Manchester a tip for good deals. If you are a backpacker then YHA.org.uk It is good. or if not then try travelodge.co.uk with advance booking they do good deals.There is always trans port from Manchester centre to airport even on Sundays.

Island of Anglesey...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from holyhead to manchester airport?

Ammendment to previous reply.

YES there is an alternative way and a good one. A coach bus leaves holyhead port terminal every night of the week..It leaves at

00.50.hrs bound for Leeds and calls Manchester airport at 05.05.

The bus connects from Irish Ferries evening service out of Dublin port. Because the driver may not be able to issue tickets you must check with either Busaras stn.Dublin. or Irish ferries Dublin port before travelling regarding tickets. This way will save you a lot of money but you will feel tired next day,no doubt sleeping on the plane.

Moscow, Idaho
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train from holyhead to manchester airport?

Thank you so much for this info. Brimwit: Do I need to purchase this ticket ahead of time and if so, how do I go about it? How long would I have to sit in the bus station after I arrive back to Holyhead on the last ferry out of Dublin (or Dun Laoghaire....don't know which is the better port). I would like to spend as much time as possible in Dublin before heading back. Also the bus carries me right to the Manchester airport? Thank you in advance for your help. -Jenny

ckk
wisconsin
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from holyhead to manchester airport?

bump

Island of Anglesey...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from holyhead to manchester airport?

Hi- reply to your last queery. Its all much easier. Bus Eireann run a through bus from Dublin bus stn. to Manchester at 19.30 hrr. every day. Everything is taken care of, but you will need to ticket in advance, refer web www.bus-eireann.ie

8. Re: train from holyhead to manchester airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Holyhead
Recent Conversations