We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

Conestogo
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

I am coming off a ship at Holyhead on July 31. Does anyone know of any local guides with transport that could take our family of four to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

Does anyone have an idea what the cost of a taxi from Holyhead to those locations might cost?

Thanks to all who respond.

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
670 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

Hello I have been going to see family in Holyhead for many years and have never heard of any guides. (I think this may be because it really is a new thing for ships to stop in this port, I think 11 are visiting this year but not long ago the number was none!)

As for taxis you could get one when you land but have you thought about hiring a car for the day?

The following company can bring you one direct to the port and the roads across Anglesey and to Caernarfon are mainly wide and do not have much traffic on them.

car-hire-cardiff-rentals.co.uk/car-hire-holy…

Just for the record if you go to the two places you suggest you will see two castles, why no just go to see one castle (Caernarfon is most spectacular) and the say go to see the Welsh Slate museum in Llanberis. You could also go for a ride on Welsh Highland Railway at Caernarfon both places have very good web sites.

Conestogo
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

Thanks very much.

I am a bit nervous about attempting the change from driving on the right to the left side of the road...and thus uncertain about hiring a car for the day.

Your advice about which castle is better really helps us with our planning.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

I think Simon's suggestion is very good. Don't bother with Beaumaris Castle - it is technically impressive and the best example of a concentric castle design, but is a minnow compared with the sheer might and scale of Caernarfon. The Welsh Highland Railway would be a good suggestion because that also starts from Caernarfon, cutting down on the amount of travel you would need to do by road, and giving you a chance to see the beautiful Snowdonia scenery. This website gives some pictures as well as practical info on timetables.

Croeso i Gymru - I hope your short stop in Wales is a good one.

http://www.welshhighlandrailway.net/index.asp

Conestogo
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

This is much appreciated. It will be Caenarfon.

Conestogo
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

Sorry, one more question: Conwy or Canaerfon?

Thanks

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
670 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

Hello Its Caernarfon Castle that we both think is best! and it is there that you can get the railway.

Just for the record the Welsh Slate Museum would just be a short detour to Llanberis. This is there web site:-

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/slate/

Wales was in Victorian times the Slate supplier to the world and the place shows that.

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

Caernarfon would be best - check out my post on page 2 of the thread '2 Nights in North Wales' in the North Wales Forum, I've included info on Caernarfon and surrounding areas.

If you need any info on Caernarfon, just ask - I live there.

If you jump into a taxi outside Holyhead port and request he take you to Caernarfon, you will be looking at a LOT of money. Perhaps it might be best looking into a taxi you can book in advance, or take the train to Bangor and then a taxi to Caernarfon. Bangor-Caernarfon is around £20 ($40) in the daytime.

Conestogo
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

Thanks Hayley!

Are you saying that it is about $40.00 from the dock at Holyhead to Caernarfon?

That would be less expensive than taking the tour bus off the boat and would give us more flexibility.

Please advise if I am understanding you properly.

By the way, your help and comments are much appreciated.

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
670 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

Hello Again !

As I said in my previous reply ships comming into Holyhead are a very new thing. As such I was interested in seeming if any of the local Taxi companied had started offering trips etc.

Star Taxi apparenty do see :-

http://www.holyhead.com/startaxis/

They say that very roughly the cost for a return journey Holyhead Caernarfon would be £80. Or to hire a taxi for a few hour works out at "about" £25 to £30 per hour.

The person I spoke to was a bit vague but if it's a taxi you want I think they could help.

Conestogo
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Guide or taxi to Beaumaris and Caernarfon?

You are awesome.

Thank you very, very much. That is exactly the information I was looking for. I am very much in your debt.

Get answers to your questions about Holyhead
Recent Conversations