We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for weekend stay in Snowdonia in August?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best location for weekend stay in Snowdonia in August?

Hi TA! My husband and I are driving to Snowdonia next weekend (9-12) and I'm looking for advice on a good central location to stay. I know it's a popular time to go so our choices in lodging might be limited, but we finally just got our time off approved now, and are really excited to be going. It is our first time to the region, and we will be driving from where we live in SW London. We aren't climbers, but do enjoy being outdoors and are looking forward to some hiking trails, and just exploring the beautiful waterfalls, lakes and scenery, as well as visiting some of the smaller village, and are looking for a town/village to base ourselves in that will allow us easy access to the region. I've gathered from other threads that Betws y Coed is a popular choice, particularly with its choice of pubs and restaurants in the evening, but I'm wondering if that's a very touristy spot? I do like the idea of having a few places close by to go at night after a day's exploring, but not if it's really busy and hectic with so many other holiday makers. Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location for weekend stay in Snowdonia in August?

Betws-y-Coed is probably the most centrally located option - which explains why it can feel a bit touristy at times, and probably especially in mid August. It's still a nice location though.

I personally like Beddgelert - it's much quieter and less central, although you'll probably find no shortage of tourists at this time of year. It's still in a good location for seeing the main sights of Snowdonia, and has good walking close at hand and a beautiful backdrop. It's also handy for the Welsh Highland Railway which is a fun way to see some of the local scenery. A couple of decent pubs and places to eat too.

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
480 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location for weekend stay in Snowdonia in August?

Betws-y-Coed isn't all that touristy, being in the National Park there are very stringent planning restrictions so there's nothing "gaudy" in or about the village. All the buildings are built of stone, there's a river running through the middle of the village, every direction you look you'll see greenery and there are no big shops, supermarkets etc. The main benefits are the choice of places to stay and to eat and also the transport links. Betws is located at the junction of the A470 which is the main road running north to south through the park and the A5 which is the main road running east to west. It's also on the Conwy Valley railway line which gives you another option to explore the area.

3. Re: Best location for weekend stay in Snowdonia in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park