We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowdon and Car Parking

Bristol, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snowdon and Car Parking

Has anyone else has logistical nightmares walking up Snowdon? I'm taking some work colleagues up on Saturday in Aug 2014 from Pen-y-Pass (Pyg) and down the Miners. We are staying at the YHA at Bryn Gwynant Friday night. I can't rely on driving from the YHA to Pen-y-pass on the Saturday morning to start the walk, because we can't get there early enough to guarantee a parking space (earliest breakfast at the YHA is 7.30am). So I've explored the much publicised 'regular' Snowdon Sherpa service which, quite frankly, is not fit for purpose. The earliest bus to pick up from the layby outside the hostel is 9.20 am, and the last bus back from Pen-y-pass is 2.20pm!!!! How on earth anyone thinks four hours is enough is beyond me. So, I then look at walking from the hostel - this adds another 8 miles (there and back) to the walk - not feasible with youngsters in the group. So I then explore getting the Sherpa bus there and getting a taxi back - neigh on impossible as we need to give the taxi at least 30 minutes notice - there is no mobile signal at Pen-y-pass and the café at the bottom shuts at 6pm!!! So I then explore getting up super early myself, driving to the car park to 'bag' a space while everyone else has a leisurely start with breakfast, thinking I might be able to catch breakfast at the café at Pen-y-pass while I wait for others to arrive - café doesn't open til 9am! Surely, the tourist board can make it a bit easier bearing in mind the exceptionally limited parking availability - I don't want to drive another 20 miles down the road to park in Nant Peris and risk not getting a parking space there either. The amount of money that is made from people exploring Snowdon could surely merit a workable bus service with realistic timings?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowdon and Car Parking

…traveline-cymru.info/journeyplanner/…

seems like the last bus leaves Pen Y pass at 16.40

Bristol, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowdon and Car Parking

Hi - thanks, 6.5 hours still not enough time when you've got youngsters and adults who've not done the walk before - we would have to route march all the way up and down! Great, if you are fit and know the route and don't want to spend any time stopping to admire views, rest, eat etc, but not so good if you want to enjoy the walk.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowdon and Car Parking

Firstly, it's not that far from Pen-y-Pass to Nant Peris. That certainly would have been the advice, because there was a regular shuttle bus, but there seems to be a lot of doubt as to whether it is running. You would have to make enquiries.

The next possibility is to park on the verges at Pen-y-Gwryd. You can all walk from there, or you could take people up to Pen-y-Pass and come back to park the cars. Mind you, I've never tried to park there on a Saturday in August.

Or how about getting the bus to Pen-y-Pass, but walking back to the hostel - further, but at least no extra climbing. I recently parked in Llanberis, got the bus up to Pen-y-Pass and walked back to Llanberis, which worked fine.

Ideas and thoughts rather than solutions, but I hope they might help.

Gorleston-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
13 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowdon and Car Parking

Have you thought of booking in at the Snowdon Ranger YHA instead and taking the Snowdon Ranger path up which is a stone throw away from the YHA?. There would be no transport needed and the Ranger path is a less busy route to take, but still with the climb up the ridge making for spectacular views. Also, if your group is very tired when they have got back down, they haven't got to hang around before getting refreshment/shower etc?

Gorleston-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
13 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowdon and Car Parking

Have you thought of booking in at the Snowdon Ranger YHA instead and taking the Snowdon Ranger path up which is a stone throw away from the YHA?. There would be no transport needed and the Ranger path is a less busy route to take, but still with the climb up the ridge making for spectacular views. Also, if your group is very tired when they have got back down, they haven't got to hang around before getting refreshment/shower etc?

Edited: 16 August 2014, 11:05
6. Re: Snowdon and Car Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park