We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

Which Betws-y-Coed hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

We'll only have a time for a quick stop enroute from Conwy to Caernarfnon Castles. I'm wondering where the best places are to stop and take pictures of the prettiest bridges, falls, etc. are. Will they be right off the main road through town? Will we be able to find free street parking for a short stop? We'll be coming next May from the U.S.

12 replies to this topic
Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

Well, in conwy right next to the castle is a fantastic suspension bridge for you to take some pictures of, and as your already in conwy wont take up any of your time! The road from conwy to caernarfon is pretty much dual carriage way from conwy.

But you get some good views of the sea, puffin island etc on your right. Some mountains and the old quarries on the left.

Edited: 28 November 2011, 18:55
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

The Menai straits

Just follow the A55 onto Anglesey then just after crossing over the Menai take the first turn off and head for Braumaris

All along the road on your left are great views of two bridges

There are plenty of stopping places for photos and the light is very special

You can get close to the Menai if you go down to the Gazelle Hotel but the view of the bridge is restricted but still great views nonetheless

These are two great engineering bridges but the whole of the area is dotted with stone bridges over the many rivers

This is only a slight detour off you route to Caernarvon

Edited: 28 November 2011, 19:23
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

The Menai straits

Just follow the A55 onto Anglesey then just after crossing overTTYe Menai take the first turn off and head for Braumaris

All along the road on your left are great views of two bridges

There are plenty of stopping places for photos and the light is very special

You can get close to the Menai if you go down to the Gazelle Hotel but the view of the bridge is restricted but still great views nonetheless

These are two great engineering bridges but the whole of the area is dotted with stone bridges over the many rivers

This is only a slight detour off you route to Caernarvon

For more info try googling Menai suspension bridge

There is a great photo on wikipedia

Sorry about the multiple posts it happened as I edited the original post

Edited: 28 November 2011, 19:32
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

www.anglesey-history.co.uk/places/bridges/

This site will give you more info on these historic bridges

Also I stated that the view is on the left

Whoops!

It's on the right if you come over the Britannia Bridge it's about 35 minutes from Conwy and the same from Caernarvon

Well worth the detour

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know about scenic bridge locations in Betws-y-Coed?

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

If you come to Betws y Coed from Conwy I would drive down the B 5106 road from Conwy through Trefiw and into Betws. The road is not wide and is not fast . As you come into Betwys there is a car park signed to your right. It's not very big and is paying. There you are very handy for the bridge and the rocks around it. To visit the village go over the bridge and turn left and you are on the main street easily walkable. The other way there is a short but pleasant walk near to the river.

If you want to see the Swallow falls you have to park at the designated carpark and pay. This is from the main road the A6.

From Betwys you then take the A6 to Capel Curig there you can either continue on the A6 to Ogwen cottage where you can park (paying) and see the old bridge under the the road bridge or go left onto the A4086 signed to Capel Curig. On a good day you should get good views of Snowdon. There are a few pull offs on the section of road before you reach Pen y Pass for photo stops. The car park at Pen y Pass is paying and not cheap. Continue down the road to Llanberis parking here all paying. Then follow signs for Caernarfon.

I cannot think of any free parking near the bridge in Betws. I'd allow a minimum of 2 hoursjust to drive this route and more like 4 hours if I wanted to stop and enjoy the scenery etc. You only need to get behind a farm vehicle and your stuck for some time. Are you intending to do both Conwy and Caernarfon castles on the same day as this route?

Gibel

Edited: 29 November 2011, 17:40
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

Yes, I'm planning on visiting both castles since we'll only have one day in Northern Wales. So if I can only spend under an hour taking pics in Betsw y Coed due to limited time, is there just one or two bridges that I can quickly take pics of without paying for parking if the rest of my family stays in the car?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

Yes please remember that every time that you cross a river or a stream you are driving over a bridge and there are dozens throughout North Wales

As u

You approach Betsy you will cross the Waterloo Bridge one of the early cast iron bridges to commemorate our victory over France

The bridge is inscribed thus

There will be a parking space on the main road near the bridge

Trust me there is often one there whenever I go

Just for a minute or two why not just park outside one of the stores such as Cotswold outdoor store for example

Then drive along the main street for three hundred yards and turn right and immediately you will be crossing another bridge

Quickly leap out take a snap and then drive on quickly back to the coast and Conwy

You have just been to Betwys coed and photographed two bridges without the need for the rest of the party having to set foot in the place

I can't believe that is how you want to conduct your visit

By judging each place in the UK on how you can get free parking and how little time you can get away with spending in every place and how quickly you can get to the next

I will do whatever that I can to help you as I know and love almost all the areas that you intend to visit

Why the big rush k?

Edited: 01 December 2011, 22:48
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

<< Why the big rush k ? >>

Have a look at the OP's other posts. This is a question thats been asked many times. It brings a whole new meaning to the term 'whirlwind tour' !!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,210 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.

If the OP has time then the Snowdon Mountain Railway is worth a ride on and then you can walk back into Llanberis.

I prefer walking the Pyg or Miners tracks though, where you can see some stunning landscapes.

Beaumaris and its castle are also worth a visit, and the OP can't come all the way from the USA without have their photo taken next to the sign at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch railway station.

Oh, hang on...

Edited: 02 December 2011, 01:12
Reply to: Best places for photos of bridges, etc.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Betws-y-Coed
Recent Conversations