We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

Which Betws-y-Coed hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

We are planning to go there, possibly staying at a self service cottage in or near the place. The trouble is, my other half thinks there aren't places to buy fresh produce and food for cooking. We don't want to end up eating in restaurants all the time and buying lots of tinned foods ahead of time. Do you know if Betws-y-coed has places to buy food? Not just gourmet delis, bakeries, but greengrocers and making a mini supermarket.

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

there's a Spar ...

SPAR Siop Tandderwen Holyhead Road, Betws-Y-Coed

and there's a Londis as well

for a bigger supermarket you'd need to go to somewhere like Llandudno

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

Ha ! i have already discovered that problem , to my great dissapointment . Outside of a couple of miniscule corner shops, Betts is decidedly lacking in this respect. No Tesco/sainsbury etc unless its hidden underground ? The very reason we decided to move on elsewhere. Lots of upmarket hotels but i was astounded to learn there are few options for the self caterers. Where ever do the locals shop??

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

<<Where ever do the locals shop??>>

my guess is that they'll jump in their cars and head down to Llandudno

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
311 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

It's a small Welsh village which would be scarred by a large supermarket and all the small shops would have to close, how lovely ! Most of us choose to stay in places like B-Y-C for the very reasons that there are no large corporate chains present.

The small shops provide the everyday basics, there's a decent sized co-op in nearby Llanwrst or you could register with tesco or asda for online shopping and have it delivered if you don't think you can cope without your supermarket shop !

Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
429 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

I would agree - a Tesco sized market in Betws would, at the very least, be severely degrading to the atmosphere.

As it is, there is a Tesco about 16m away just up the A470 in Llandudno Junction. Which is where we expect to stock up for our cottage stay in the Lledr Valley. In truth, it's hardly worse than our "normal" treks of 10 miles or so to a well stocked supermarket at home. But, I suppose we're more used to driving in the US.

Then again, I sure enjoy fresh bread, but not enough for a 30 mile round trip. Any recommendations for the best bakery nearby in Betws or Llanwrst?

Edited: 09 February 2012, 21:26
Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

Betws has a spar and a couple of bakeries. Nobody will starve!!!

As for the poster who moaned about the lack of a supermarket in Betws-Y-Coed, I ask where would you put one, on the grass field opposite the station??? Take down half of the forest and put one there???

Really??? People like you need to understand this is rural wales in a National park area.

If you cant appreciate the beauty and remoteness of places maybe you have come to the wrong place on holiday.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

"People Like Me " understand some basic necesseties of life and respond to the OP questions . While Betts is appealing it hardly qualifies as heretage status .

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

According to the gist of my original post, I just wanted to know where to buy basic food - fresh veg, fruit, dairy and bakery. Ok meat too.

I don't think places like this need a supermarket necessarily - I understand the necessity in preserving Betws' character and environment. Having said that, can't they convert a few conjoinging restaurants (which seem to proliferate) into a medium sized supermarket? Also it seems that the word 'super' indicates it's bad, but maybe just have a co-operative (which is socially conscious too). I've always liked the quality of co-op products.

At the end of a day, a spar would do, and cazinatutu says there is so I'm happy. Any big purchases we can head to Llandudno for it.

I'm all for a few greengrocers and good butchers and delis. I don't think having local shops destroy the locale as much as a supermarket would.

london
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

The Spar shop in Betws-y-coed sells freshly baked bread and rolls. Both the Londis and Spar have a selection of fresh fruit + veg. They also both sell a range of local meats and cheeses. About 3 miles away in the village of Trefriw there is a superb butchers which also sells frut, veg and home made cakes, pies and bread. Llanrwst (3 miles away) has a Co-op and Spar as well as several butchers and a welsh deli and a bakery. Llanwrst also has a market every Tuesday. Hopefully, you'll enjoy your stay in Betws without the worry of starving to death!

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery stores or food shops in Betws-y-coed

Aye, thanks for the info, my intuition tells me i'll be fine :)

Get answers to your questions about Betws-y-Coed
Recent Conversations