We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

Which Betws-y-Coed hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

Any opinions on the best route from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow on a Thursday morning? We need to arrive by noon. I know we need to leave super early, but what's traffic like? How much extra time would you allow? Thank you!!!

21 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

Bear in mind that you if you're dropping off a hire car you need to allow extra time to find a petrol station to fill it up (assuming you need to take it back full), locate the care drop off place and then get from there to whichever terminal you need.

Take it from saying you need to arrive by noon, your flights are somewhere in the region of 3pm?

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

Well it would be around a four and a quarter hour journey without factoring in the fact that you'll be travelling in the rush hour. Personally, I'd go up the night before and stay near the airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

I think go down to Llandudno Junction, pick up the A55 and take M6, the M6 toll, M 42 and M40.

If there is a problem with this route, ( roadworks ) then you could do A5 and M54 and the same from there.

i must say I have not done it on a weekday morning. Why not look at the AA live traffic news map one morning now and see what it says about queues. I would think though that the worst will be around The M42 and it will be presumably about 9.30 when you get there - the end of the rush hour. You have to go this way at that time either way.

Keep the radio news on, as if there is a problem on (say) the M40 you could go down the M1 in much the same time.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

A5 M54 M6 M42 M40 M25. Might be worth diverting round the M6 Toll.

If I wanted to get to Heathrow by midday and it didn't matter if I was late, I'd set off about eight, breeze through Birmingham after the rush hour, the sun would shine, the M40 would be deserted - no problem at all. Alternatively I'd leave at five, get stuck behind something on the A5, arrive at Birmingham in rush hour traffic, there would be an accident somewhere in front of me, and I'd be late anyway.

If it were me, I'd either stay somewhere en route overnight, or set off before five to get past Birmingham before it gets too busy.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

"Personally, I'd go up the night before and stay near the airport."

Would also do this if I was actually doing this journey myself.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

+1 for driving down the day before. It will be much more relaxing not having to worry about roadworks, accidents, traffic congestion and all the rest.

I fi had to do it the same day, I'd be looking to leave no later than 0530, probably nearer 0500.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
712 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

Travelled part of this route last Friday, complete nightmare, OK on A55, as soon as we hit the M6 we crawled all the way down to the M6 Toll, all OK from there onwards. The alternative of A5, M54 is OK once you get off the A5, just slow until then due to all the roundabouts. You then end up on the M6 across Birmingham which can also be slow. I would travel the evening before due to the potential for delays.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

Any opinions on the best route from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow on a Thursday morning?

========

Well, I'd start on a Wednesday early evening ...

Chester
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

Hi,

I live 30 mins from Betws and I would leave the day before for a morning flight from Heathrow. Unless I left before 03:00 for an 11:00 -12:00 flight.

Keith.

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning

OK - you win! Any recommendations on a hotel on the way to, or near Heathrow? We'll go the night before. Your nightmarish stories have convinced me! If my crew (husband, and 2 14-year old daughters) knew what I was contemplating, they would surely thank you profusely!!!!

Reply to: Driving from Betws-y-Coed to London Heathrow weekday morning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Betws-y-Coed
Recent Conversations