We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

We are a family of five adults holidaying in North Wales next week. We plan to do a day trip to Wrexham and are hoping we'll get the time to visit both Erddig and Chirk Castle. However, I spotted on the National Trust Website that the best time to get to both properties for special guided tours is early 11 - 12 or so.

So I am wondering if anyone could tell me whether it would be best for example to prioritise Erddig first and then take what we can in of Chirk afterwards or vice versa? Also, is there a picnic area with tables etc. at either property?

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

I've been to both Chirk & Erdigg more than once and my personal preference is Chirk. I did the guided tour for Chirk earlier this year and it was good. I love the setting at Chirk - it's on a hill with lovely gardens & on a clear day there are views over to the Cheshire Plain. Erdigg is of particular interest if you're interested in the life of domestic servants - I don't recall the house as particularly exceptional - I do recall the pleached trees and the wrought iron gates in the gardens though. I suspect I'll be in a minority with my preference -interesting to see.

IIRC there were picnic tables at Chirk between the car park & the castle. The cafe's off the castle courtyard and as well as tables near the counter & outside there's another room that I got the impression wasn't spotted by some users when I was there. By the way it's a steep walk upto the castle - there were buggies in use when we visited.

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

Can't really add to what Cheshireresident had said - I definitely prefer Chirk, and for the same reasons, a lovely setting.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

Hi,

I can not choose but I think I prefer the gardens at Chirk. If it is a castle you want to see Powis near Welshpool is one of the best and it is only about 40 mins past Wrexham.

Keith.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

Keith E - Powis for the gardens (rather than the interiors) would win my vote of those three, too. It would be a much longer trip from North Wales though, so perhaps not what the OP wants.

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

Thank you so much for all the information it really helped me make up my mind. I think we will definitely make our way to Chirk first of all on the day. It sounds so lovely - really looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question. Chirk it will be so!

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

Thanks for the information. I will check out Powys also before we travel.

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

We.ve travelled further for a nice day out, so we check it out before we go. Thank you for the suggeston.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

Hi Alcudiafan,

If Powis is too far and you are staying in North Wales you should not be too far from Penrhyn Castle near Bangor, it is not really a castle but it is amazing.

Keith.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip

I'll not disagree with what anyone else has said regarding Chrik and Erdigg. But if you do want to see a really lovely garden then try to make time to visit Bodnat. It's stunning.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 15:49
Reply to: Erddig or Chirk Castle - Which to prioritise on our day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wrexham County