We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrexham from London

Canberra...
12 posts
Save Topic
Wrexham from London

Can someone tell me if it is best to travel from London to Wrexham by train. We want to hire a car while in Wrexham as we want to tour around the area for a day and also visit Penycae.

We don't want to hire a car in London because of the traffic and being unfamiliar with the UK.

Can we go so far on the train and pick up a hire car somewhere before Wrexham and do the same on the way back to London.

Thanks for an advice

Regards

Dorothy

6 replies to this topic
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrexham from London

Take the train to Crewe. It"s a frequent and fast service. Then hire your car at Crewe. If I recall correctly Avis are near the station.

Book your train tickets 90 days ahead of travel for the best prices.

Have fun.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrexham from London

Another option is direct train to Chester and pick up car there. Avis are right opposite the station and Wrexham is only a few miles away on A483 a well signposted very good road.

As Cheshirecat says book around 12 weeks ahead Advance fares for best rates - less than £15 per person

Canberra...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrexham from London

Thank you chesterbuff and Cheshirecat.

Some more help please if you can. Is the 15 pound (no pound key on our keyboard) one way. How long does the trip take to either Crewe or Chester.

We want to travel as much as possible by car to the Wrexham cemetery and the Groes Chapel at Penycae, also see Ellesmere Port as this is where my father was born, Nantwich as this is where my grandfather and his sister were born. They all lived around Chester, Denbighshire, Penycae, Shropshire, Cheshire and Wirral.

Can all this be done in the one day or would we be best spending a night in Wrexham.

Appreciate any feedback

Regards

Dorothy B

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrexham from London

Yes the price is one way and times would be around 1 hour 4O min London to Crewe and another 15 min or so to Chester which is closer to Wrexham. Chester to Wrexham by car is 15 min maximum.

You could do all your visits in one day as distances are not great but two days would give you more time to look around

Edited: 20 October 2013, 09:51
Chester
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wrexham from London

Hi Dorothy,

can I suggest staying in the Hoole Road area of Chester because it is a few min walk from the railway station and has easy access to the M53 for Ellesmere Port , the A55 / A483 for Wrexham and the A51 for Nantwich.

Keith.

Canberra...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wrexham from London

Thanks for that info Keith, greatly appreciated.

Dorothy

Reply to: Wrexham from London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wrexham