We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best area of Pembrokeshire

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
best area of Pembrokeshire

Would like to spend a weekend down in Pembrokeshire in March, I have been to St Davids, Tenby, Saundersfoot, a few years ago.

I realise the pembrokeshire Coastal walks is something spectacular, which area is particularly outstanding would also like to do some good landscape photography of the area, can anyone recommend a good place to stay preferably with sea views, hotel, B & B.

Do want to visit Barafundle beach is this a good area to stay in ?

joana

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

We stayed near Newport at Tregynon farm about 20 years ago, the views were good although it is nowhere near the sea. In Newport itself Cnapan is highly spoken of for vegetarian B&B, again not on the coast. There is also a hotel on the coast path with a good reputation and I'll get back to you when I recall the name.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

OK, memory has returned it was the Druidstone. A quick glance at the 4 reviews here shows it is not highly rated by all so it may or may not be your kind of place. I do know people who love it although I have not visited. I think they may also have some self catering. It is quite a long way to any alternative place to eat.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

Thanks Bigdave I will have a look, I would like to stay on the coast, but having said that we don't mind travelling a few miles to get to the coastal area's,

Thanks again

joana

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

You absolutely HAVE to go to Barafundle, but I would suggest that a generally more scenic area to stay in is the Fishguard / Strumble Head area. Absolutely out of this world coastal scenery.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

Thanks WACT i will look at the area and Barafundle beach I will not miss, heard so much about this beach, just cannot make my mind up which is the best area to stay, need to get some good landscape/seascape images.

Joana

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

Hi Jo,

agree with all the posts and now going to put my 5 penny woth in?/, Barafundle is a great beach but dont forget you cant drive to it, you must leave your car at stackpole quay and walk over the headland to the beach(unless it has changed recently),

also in that area worth seeing for the photo oppertunities is freshwater west, angle, and walking round the lily ponds at bosherston to broad haven beach(i think better than barafundle), the coastal path is over 150 miles so you have to choose one or two areas i think to make the best of it.

Distance wise,barafundle to fishguard is about 30 miles,so like north wales be prepared to travel i bit. [Pembroke /pembroke dock or tenby would be your best base for this area.

North pembs side, you have st ismaels,broad haven,little haven, marloes , newgale,solva,up to st davids, the county town of haverfordwest might be a good base or further up say solva or st davids, top of the county would be say newport, fishguard,goodwick, strumble head with little beaches all down the coast.

hope this helps,when i have a minute will look up some b&b for you

dave

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

thanks for that Dai, i found this great website while seaching for a cottage.

http://www.underthethatch.co.uk/

going to go through the area's I don't mind travelling around but want to have enough time for walks and photography.

joana

Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

Check out our website Joanna - www.cuffernmanor.co.uk - you may find good ideas there as well as a great place to stay.

Julian

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

Thank you will have a look, need some where nice to stay

Joana

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best area of Pembrokeshire

jo,

not familiar with the above, however,the location is ideal for touring, taking your photos,and walking

dave

Get answers to your questions about Pembrokeshire
Recent Conversations