We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Pembrokeshire

Milton Keynes...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Pembrokeshire

Hi,

I am planning a long weekend getaway to Wales in May/June for some walking, cycling and possibly Kayaking.

Pembrokeshire looks ideal, however I haven't got a clue where to base myself.

Ideally I would like a small coastal village with a couple of (real ale) pubs to enjoy some food and well earnt beers after the days activities.

Any suggestions of where to stay would be greatly received.

Thanks

Kayak-King
Eco Tours, Water Sports, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
TYF Adventure - Day Adventures
Water Sports, Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Climbing Tours
Tenby Fishing
Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Fishing Charters & Tours
The Real Adventure Company
Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Climbing Tours
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

My first thought was St Davids but that doesn't have any pubs listed in Camera's Good Beer Guide.

Solva just down the road has 3 entries - Cambrian Inn, Harbour Inn and Ship. It's a long time since we went there but I think it may be a bit of a tourist 'honey pot'. There are superb beaches nearby and there is the coastal footpath.

The other suggestion is Dale which is small, again has access to beaches and the coastal footpath but is more off the tourist beat. There is one pub in GBG, Griffin Inn.

Eleanor

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

Solva meets your criteria. I only know it as a place I stopped at for lunch and a pint while walking the coastal path. It's a pretty place and, as noted above, has 3 real ale pubs.

The Farmers Arm in St Davids is the only real ale pub in that city. As I remember from a few years ago, it served the very fine Double Dragon Ale from Felinfoel Brewey.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

I've been following up ronw suggestion on the Farmer's Arms, just in case I had sold St David's short. I have a feeling they may no longer sell real ale. Their web site puts more emphasis on food and the only comment I can find is they serve "fine ales". (Our local keg pub also says this so I tend to regard statements like this with caution.) The only picture I could find of their bar showed no sign of a hand pump.

http://www.farmersstdavids.co.uk/

facebook.com/pages/…212892242737

www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Eleanor

Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

Check out www.visitpembrokeshire.com for ideas, different areas offer different activities. I take it you don't mind travelling to the beach, but want to walk to the pub? I will check out for the pubs and let you know.

Milton Keynes...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

Thanks a lot for all your advice.

You're right - No problems travelling to the beach, but I'd like the pub(s) to be walking distance.

I'll have a look into Solva.

Anywhere else you can think of, let me know.

Thanks

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

Have a look at Saundersfoot.

I'm not sure about the CAMRA credentials but I am pretty sure it will have some presence there. We love the place. Great beach, good seafood, and good countryside all behind you. I can't open the "visit Saundersfoot" website at the moment (obviously under massive demand ha ha) but this website should give you a flavour. Pembrokeshire is a beautiful, historic, legendary, stimulating and very spiritual destination so make the most of all its offerings

http://www.saundersfoot.co.uk/

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

Being that Pembs has coast round the edges, your choice in endless, Amroth in the south right round to st davids in the north and then over to Fishguard,a big choice, however given that the real ale is a big part of your choice, , try this web site

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/counties/dyfed/

Most of the places listed above by the other posters are great and of course, being in gods country, there are many more gems, like manorbier,marloes,broad haven,stackpole,etc etc etc ,need I go on lol

as they say, the choice is yours

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

Porthgain, on the coast between St Davids and Fishguard, is a nice unspoilt little village with an excellent real ale pub - the Sloop. The beer is a tad expensive though. :-(

Edited: 07 January 2010, 09:26
Wales U K
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

Newport would suit you i am sure..... very good pubs and restaurants .....and the walking is superb..... try the golden lion pub for excellent accomodation

Solva would also be a first class choice or possibly Littlehaven

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Pembrokeshire

I remember having a great meal at Old Point House (pub) in Angle right on the waterfront. The Barman's father had just caught some lobster and I jumped at the chance - it was sensational. I can't remember if they serve any specific ales but I remember that whatever beer I had, it was a nice accompaniment. There is plenty of walking and cycling opportunities on this quiet peninsula, but you will pass some rather ugly oil refineries just out of Penfro. Here is a weblink: www.visitpembrokeshire.com/content.asp…

Get answers to your questions about Pembrokeshire
Recent Conversations