We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

I would be heading to Cardiff in Feburary in 2012, and was hoping to visit Barafundle Bay.

Is it possible to make it to Barafundle Bay from Cardiff as a day trip?

Or would the train and buses take way too long for it to be practical? I cannot drive, so public transport is my only option.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

It will be a long day but it is possible. It also depends what time you have to be back in Cardiff and how long you want to spend in Barafundle Bay?

Here is the link to the timetables for Arriva Trains Wales (you want Timetable 3)

www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Timetables/

They only have the times up until the 10th of December 2011. It appears you can get a train from Cardiff Central to Pembroke. The earliest one leaves at 06:33 and arrives at 10:03.

Once in Pembroke you will need to get one of the local coaches to Stackpole. Use this link to download the timetable for this journey:

www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content.asp…

You want bus route 387 (winter). This is valid for the period when you will be travelling. There is a bus from the Co-op in Pembroke to Stackpole at 10:10 arriving at 11:07 (rather a long way round unfortunately).

Now that you have the timetables I'll leave you to figure out your return journey. Pay attention to the days of travel (particularly for the local bus service). Good luck.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

Wow, thank you so much~! :-)

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
521 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

I think you're pushing it a bit as a day trip. Stackpole is quite a distance from Satckpole Quay from where the path goes along the cliffs to Barafundle. If money is too much of an issue you would be far better booking a taxi to meet you at Pembroke Railway station and returning for you later, the local buses are not always reliable!

Barafundle is a beautiful beach there's no doubt, but you may find yourself enshrouded in low cloud in February ( or it could be brilliant sunshine) and it would be a long way to go to be disappointed.

I'd consider the Gower instead if you want to see a stunning Welsh beach, Three cliffs or Rhosilli. It's nearer to Cardiff.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

Oh thank you! Would a taxi from Pembroke railway to barafundle take quite long?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

From google maps:

http://g.co/maps/m9z7m

By road it should take 11 minutes.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
521 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

It is about 5-6 miles from Pembroke to Stackpole Quay ( not the village) along back roads. The you have a 20 minute walk along the cliffs. It would be best to email a taxi firm in Pembroke for more details.

Personally I don't think that Barafundle is worth all the effort that this trip would take, the pr photos make it look lovely and I've been there when it's been stunning but I've also been there in wind and drizzle when it's not been special at all.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

Oh thanks! I'll definitely take note of the taxis. Do you think it would be possible to arrange for one with a hotel in pembroke?

I'm heading to Barafundle on a filming site pilgramage of sorts, so I can't really replace it with other beaches, unfortunately. But thank you for the advice on the other sites to look out for.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
521 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

Oh that makes sense then!

Stackpole estate is owned by the National Trust, have you looked at their website

http://beta.nationaltrust.org.uk/stackpole

Also the Stackpole Inn is very good, I've only eaten there but they have rooms as well.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

I heard a lot of recommendations about stackpole inn! Thank you, I'll definitely call them up for the trip.

I guess it goes without saying that I better wrap myself up very well in winter clothes for a Feburary trip to Pembroke?

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
521 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible to visit Barafundle Bay in one day?

Not necessarily. My daughter's birthday is the 19th February and I can remember her being on the beach with bare legs and a T shirt on her 4th birthday!

If the sun's out and you're in a sheltered spot it can be pleasantly warm ( for Wales), but this year it was cold and miserable. It's unusual to have snow on the south Pembrokeshire coast but it can be wet and windy.

So come prepared with waterproofs and layers and suitable shoes for walking over the cliffs.