We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Pembrokeshire

England
Level Contributor
195 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Pembrokeshire

Hi,

Having visited Pembrokeshire three times in 2003, 2004 and 2005 with my brother and grandparents I fell in love with the area and would love to visit again.

My only problem is transport. If I went with my friend our only means is by train. The actual journey looks pretty easy but I am just concerned about rail works etc. How common are these on weekends throughout Wales?

What I would have to do is go from

Lime Street > Crewe

Crewe > Carmarthen

Carmarthen > Saundersfoot

19.00 each way which sounds good but I don't want to risk cancellations etc but I really want to visit the area again so I'm stuck...

I understand that Saundersfoot is a request stop but can you get to there from Carmarthen by bus/taxi?

And if there were rail replacements between Crewe and Carmarthen are there buses put on or are services just cancelled?

The time I am looking at going is September 13th to 20th 2014

Thanks and I apologise for the long post and hope somebody can help!

Shaun

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,232 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Pembrokeshire

It is impossible to know this far ahead how a journey in September will be affected by engineering works.

But:

- engineering works are quite likely at weekends, but rare on weekdays.

- if the service is suspended due to engineering work, substitute buses are provided. These are usually planned in advance and will be shown in the journey details.

- if you book 'Advance'-type tickets and one of your services is late or cancelled, making you miss a connection, then you would be allowed to travel on a later train - ask rail staff for assistance as they may need to endorse your ticket. However if you simply miss the train because you didn't get to the station in time your ticket becomes invalid.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 11:26
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Pembrokeshire

This is a good site for working out rail/bus connections

http://www.traveline-cymru.info/

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
551 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Pembrokeshire

I wouldn't think there would be any problem travelling Sundays and certainly not on a Saturday. As said above if there are engineering works, it might make the journey a bit longer. It seems to affect the mornings rather than the afternoons. The railway company still has to get you to your destintation.

No there are no buses from Carmarthen to Saundersfoot. When they check your ticket on the train they note that you want to get off at a request stop, there are lots on that line.

Saundersfoot station is a mile or two from the village and not a good walk down narrow roads with no footpath. It might be easier for you to go to Tenby and get the bus back into Saundersfoot. This depends where you are planning on staying of course.

England
Level Contributor
195 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Pembrokeshire

Thanks for the replies, it's times like this I wish I could drive. Especially as I doubt you can get to Llys y Fran without a car and that's somewhere I'd want to see again. I really do want to visit Saundersfoot again though and the caravan park I want has availability...

I have just looked at trains which stop at Tenby and then a bus to Saundersfoot which looks easier.

It's just the rail replacement I'd be worried about but as long as you can actually get to the destination I don't mind.

Also would the Arriva train from Crewe to Carmarthen have toilets on? On the Arriva website it says some don't but not sure what train runs on that line.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Pembrokeshire

If you buy cheap advance tickets you will know about engineering works when you book and the buses will be properly scheduled into your itinerary. The tickets won't be released until engineering works are known. There's always the possibility (low) of some emergency (like the recent floods) but there's no point in worrying about that

The Crewe to Carmarthen train will have toilets

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Pembrokeshire

if carmarthen to Saundersfoot is your choice, it is possible,The 222 bus from Carmarthen to Pendine,then the 351 bus from Pendine to Saundersfoot, dont know if the times would suit you.

carmarthenshire.gov.uk/english/transport/bus…

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
551 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Pembrokeshire

I really wouldn't worry about the railway, if you have a ticket and you've started your journey, the company has to get you to your destination. My husband has arrived home in a taxi before now, at Arriva's expense, because of some incident on the railway line.

There are usually one or two taxis lurking around Tenby station for incoming trains so it might even be easier to take a taxi to your caravan park.

www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content.asp… gives details of the buses serving the area and with a bit of imagination and maybe the odd taxi it is possible to reach a lot of places including Llys y Fran ( but only one service on a Tuesday!)

St. Dogmaels...
Level Contributor
301 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Pembrokeshire

You'd be very unlucky to have a problem. They trains are great here, plus check out local coach tours and trips just did a quick look and this woman might be worth contacting http://www.guidedtourswales.co.uk as a starting point. Agree with the Travelinecymru suggestion, excellent website for planning any trips

9. Re: Train to Pembrokeshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:25