We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brecon

Which Brecon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MO Ozarks
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Brecon

I am traveling from the United States, and have never been to Wales. I would like to visit Brecon and other towns, but I noticed there is no rail service to Brecon. I do not want to drive, as I am unfamiliar with driving on the left. What is the best way to get around Wales, stay over night in small towns and see the country in general.

6 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brecon

There are coaches (=buses) to larger towns in Wales

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

and buses all over - frequent in some areas, less so in others

http://www.traveline-cymru.info/

But car would be a lot easier and more flexible

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brecon

It's certainly possible to get around by bus, but it's not a speedy way to travel, you have to be quite organised in what times you are travelling and it does restrict you quite a lot in places that you can actually get to. A car would certainly give a lot more flexibility and allow you to see more.

You can get to Brecon easily by bus from Cardiff on the South wales intercity rail line, Llandrindod Wells on the Heart of Wales rail line or from Hereford or Abergavenny on the line between Manchester and South Wales. Use the traveline-cymru website posted in the first reply to plan what journeys can be done and what fares are applicable. There are some travelcards that would be good value if using a lot of buses or trains.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brecon

dzug has covered the basics. Once upon a time, mid-Wales was well served by the railways - there were three stations in Brecon associated with three different companies and you could easily get to Builth, Merthyr and Hereford. Unfortunately, that part of the system was closed in the early sixties, even before Dr Beeching started his pitiful programme of cuts.

AS dzug says, Traveline Cymru is the comprehensive source of information, especially once you know when and where you will be travelling. As a broad generalisation, the bus service from Abergavenny to Brecon tends to be a bit better than that from Merthyr, I suspect because of the need for so many to travel to Nevill Hall hospital.

It's worth mentioning the Brecon Bus service that covers a range of interesting outdoors spots during summer weekends. travelbreconbeacons.info/beacons-bus/beacons… Traveline Cymru will include Brecon Bus routes if they are available on the day you plan to travel, but it helps to be aware that you can get to some more out-of-the-way spots by public transport, if only at those very limited times.

Overall, bus services in these parts are never frequent - even an hourly service is exceptional in many areas, so you can't easily stop to see a place for a few minutes and then hop back on. It really is difficult to see much of the area by public transport and, much as I would prefer to say otherwise, you really need a car to explore it fully.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 08:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brecon

I did the bus trip T4 from Merthyr to Brecon and from Brecon to Cardiff yesterday. The bus is very comfortable and the views between Merthyr-Brecon-Merthyr nothing short of being spectacular.

I have also travelled from Abergavenny by bus as well. Also a good trip but not as spectacular but one passes through pretty villages etc.

Next trip will be Swansea to Llandrindrod by train and then by bus to Brecon. Hope the bus to Brecon is a nice trip.

the traveline site suggested previously in invaluable. A few errors though. In Merthyr the T4 leaves/arrives stand 16 and NOT stand 2 as the site says.

Wonderful area to use public transport especially with an OAP bus pass!!

Edited: 26 July 2013, 11:41
Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
648 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brecon

London1947, can you clarify whether you used you bus pass in Wales ? When I have had visitors here from England they have been unable to use their passes, also when in England it is not possible to use a Welsh pass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brecon

Yes i used my bus pass in Wales. It's issued in Wales.

You can actually use it in England if the journey you're on either starts or finishes in Wales.

Eg. A bus goes from Chepstow to Bristol. You can use your Welsh bus pass on that journey and back.

Also Abergavenny to Hereford.

Reply to: Brecon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brecon