We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaw-Dropping Scenery

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Jaw-Dropping Scenery

For anyone who is familiar with Brecon Beacons (we will be staying in Crickhowell and exploring the area, including the Black Mountains, and a drive to Abergavenny), could you recommend your top three must see stops in the area? We are coming from far, far away and always see these amazing photos of the area where the land just sort of opens up before you, and other areas that are lush and green - we are hoping to find the best of them. This could be via short hike (say 2 or 3 hours round trip). Please let us know where you would go in Brecon Beacons or the Black Mountains if you had the chance. It could also include farmland with sheep grazing (pastoral scenes) or little villages.

In addition to scenery if you can recommend any must-see stops that would also be great.

I know it's a bit out of the way but has anyone been to the Red Kite reserve and had any experience there?

We have also been searching for the scenery from the first two Narnia movies which was apparently filmed in the Black Mountains but no luck so far. It would be great if we could find out where this is.

Any reply would be super.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

Thank you for the reply - it sounds like bugs are the biggest threats and we have now picked up some "off" which promises to protect against Midges (could not find avon skin so soft unfortunately). Wonder about those big black cats though - what could that be all about??

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
403 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

Barbie, there will certainly be no problems with wild animals !! flying ants at certain times of the year can be a pain, and that's about it

if your'e starting your walk late i'm sorry you'll have to miss out on Libanus mountain center, as it only serves lunch from mid day till around two or three o clock. There are plenty of lovely pubs between storey arms and crickhowell to stop for an evening meal though so you'll be ok.

As for your walk if you begin around 11 oclock you'll have plenty of time to complete the walk in around 4 to 5 hours, if you have a choice i'd advice you to do the walk on a weekday rather than the weekends, still a few walkers around, but not at all crowded, and plenty of parking space, which can be a nuicance on a weekend..Alf

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

It will be great to hike without fear for a change : ) We saw 7 bears in Kananaskis Country here in about 1 1/2 weeks - a huge grizzly crossed right in front of us when we were on the bike trail (shudder...).

How about this? We skip the packed lunch (though that is sometimes the fun part : ) Have our lunch at 12 pm at your spot, finish lunch by one and then head up on the trailhead. This should enable us to get to the top of Pen y Fan, and the across to Fan y Big, and back down as well, all before 6 pm. Does this sound right to you?

Could you tell me what "town" these hikes are closest to so I can place them on a map? By the way, where would you recommend dinner for someone in their hoodie/fleece and hiking pants, rough and tired : ) - great dining in a nice Welsh spot, especially if the view is good? How would it compare to Gliffaes?

We'll stick to the weekday - this will be fantastic!! It will be great to try and pursue a quiet hike comfortable. We sure appreciate all the good help.

MB

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

PS - Please let us know if our second plan of leaving after lunch will work out alright : ) Maybe it will be better than the first? If not we will stick to the original plan.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

OK, someone's got to mention it...

I know the Welsh Tourist Board try to ignore these things but if you're hiking along and suddenly a shadow comes across your group... an ever expanding shadow... Run for cover! Don't look up! Head for the nearest overhang or cave.

Red dragons breeding schemes have been doing just a little too well in some parts of Wales.

;-)

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

The nearest towns are Brecon (roughly 5 miles north of Pen Y Fan and Fan y Big), Merthyr Tydfil (10 miles south), and Crickhowell (11 miles east).

I've missed reading when you're planning this trip but it would be worth your while getting Ordnance Survey maps for the area as soon as possible to help you with the fine details.

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

nice one blorengia...... ;)

Us brits are lucky to be able to tromp around without our wildlife attacking us (apart from aforementioned insects) which probably explains some of the 'Darwin Award' moments we have when we go abroad ( eg what type of snake is that, can I get closer to that lion for a photo, nice bear...............!)

OS maps available in the visitor centres, map shop abergavenny, some newsagents/petrol stations and in most good bookshops, also check online. The Brecon area is 'outdoorsy' so most places dont mind you pitching up in walking gear - quite a few have boot racks by the door if its been especially wet/muddy. I'm sorry I cant be more specific about eatery names in that area as I cant remember where we've stopped in the past (and mostly take my own food on trips with the kids!)

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

You need to be more wary about weather than 'wildlife' here especially when walking with kids, so get an update from internet/tv/hotel before setting off.

these links may be helpful for maps, walks, trip reports and info

walkingclub.org.uk/os_explorer_map/12-brecon…

http://www.breconbeaconsparksociety.org/

http://www.summitpost.org/pen-y-fan/150695

testbbnpa.co.uk/brecon/…view

If you're staying at Gliffaes they should be helpful in giving info as well.

Edited: 21 June 2011, 15:05
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

Like ada said the weather is the biggest danger. I use the Met Office for their weather reports. They are generally the most accurate:

metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/bre…

And a good website for finding good pubs is:

http://www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
403 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Jaw-Dropping Scenery

Ok barbie, You may feel a little "overloaded" after eating the Welsh black beef pie, or one of the other tasty items from the menu at the mountain center before you walk, so you may be better off to stick to your original plan and carry lunch with you and eat it up on one of the peaks, that is so enjoyable to eat with great views. (weather permitting]

A lovely drive back down the A470 towards Brecon, then on to Crickhowell "The Bear hotel" in Crickhowell square is a great place to stop after a good long hike, with a good menu and fine ales, they are used to walkers relaxing in the bar. {not the restaurant ) Or you may enjoy "The Old Ford Inn" at Llanhamlach, just outside Brecon on the Crickhowell - Abergavenny road, set beside the river Usk with great views up to the beacons, both places can be found on the net have a look.

Alf

Get answers to your questions about Brecon Beacons...