We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking on Pen y Fan

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking on Pen y Fan

I would love to be able to walk on Pen y Fan but I am one of the worst when trying to balance myself on uneven roads. The thought of walking on lose rocks, steep hills and ice really worries me.

How steep is Pen y Fan? Are there lots of steep slopes and lose rocks on the ground?

Thanks.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

I've only been up Pen y Fen once and if I remember right it was quite a pull up to the top. Reading your post, are you really thinking about walking up in icy conditions? I have first hand knowledge of Brecon A&E because that is where I ended up that day. So if/when things do go wrong you'll be in good hands.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

Isn't that the mountain the SAS occasionally kill themselves on while training?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

Yes it is where the SAS train but they are usually not on the main footpaths

Most people walk from one of the two car parks near the Storey Arms.

For the next 5 months you are unlikely to come across any ice of any significance. However coming down from Pen y Fan there are about half a dozen paths and in the mist you could find yourself getting on the wrong one unless you are good at map reading.

I assume you will also be wearing suitable clothing and have suitable footwear (not trainers!)

Bob

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

I cannot understand why people say do not wear trainers. Most walkers that I know only wear trainers, yes with a good sole for grip but still trainers.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

Yeh I have a good pair walking boots but even so I don't find it helping me with my balance much. I would have thought it would help gaining more grip on the ground... or may be just me failing to getting myself balanced on a slope.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

... and I am going during Spring/Summer months but I am concerned about the lose rocks etc.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

My wife was the same as you, but with practise she got quite good at mountain walking and she did some tough mountain walks at home and abroad until she became unwell while walking in Poland. I think it's all about being confident in your own ability. In all my years of walking I've only seen one walker with a broken ankle and she was wearing boots.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

I'm not sure I'd advise anyone to go on a serious mountain like Pen Y Fan at any time of year if they arent entirely confident. What have you climbed so far ?

Mike

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

None to be honest. I chose Pen y Fan because my colleague said it was easy, but perhaps it was easy for him.

Joe

Edited: 14 April 2014, 18:42
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking on Pen y Fan

snakieUK, Joe,

Looking at my map Outdoor Leisure 11 (yes I know it's not a up to date one) why not give it a go. Pick a nice day take your friend/s with you for company. I'm very happy to walk on my own in the mountains but not wise if you are new or not use to map reading or walking. Mistakes can and do happen and I know a few people that have not return from walks. I think the best way up would be from Storey Arms, you start at around 430 mtrs above sea level so your nearly half way up before you get out of your car. ;-) On the map the route dose not look too bad. When I did it the route was not a public right of way but we did have permission to do it on the day and went up from Bwich ar y Fan. to the south of the public right of way.

Just remember there is nothing wrong in turning around and walking back down if you find the walk too much. Always better to be safe then sorry.

Get answers to your questions about Brecon Beacons...