We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Carreg Cennen to Usk?

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
100 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Carreg Cennen to Usk?

When driving from Carreg Cennen to Usk -- better to take M-4 or A40?

A40 seems to go across the Brecon Beacons – scenic or just scary roads? M-4 seems a bit faster but longer – boring or worth it for safety and for a few (short) interesting stops along the way? Suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
438 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Carreg Cennen to Usk?

Hello mermaid, If you have time, and want to stop off en route, A40

will be perfect, It's a great road with lovely views of the Brecon beacons and the Black mountains,

I highly recomend stopping off in the lovely market town of Crickhowell,

{ lunch in the Bear hotel ?}

Then on to Abergavenny, maybe afternoon tea in the Angel hotel,

a 30 minute drive from Abergavenny through the lovely rolling hills of the Monmouthshire countryside to USK . Forget the M4 and treat yourself to a drive through some lovely Welsh landscape.

the A40 skirts the edge of the Carmarthen fans, Brecon beacons , and Black mountains, without a scary road to be seen.

enjoy the scenery,.... if you want any more info please ask.

Alf

Mentioned in this post
The Bear Hotel
The Bear Hotel
601 Reviews
Cowbridge, UK
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
1,800 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Brecon
Brecon
Brecon Beacons National Park, UK
Abergavenny
Abergavenny
Monmouthshire, UK
Monmouthshire
Monmouthshire
Southern Wales, UK
Usk
Usk
Monmouthshire, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Carreg Cennen to Usk?

Agree with Alf. The M4 route is strictly utilitarian. I'd probably use the A40 even if I were in a hurry. It's not a particularly bad road - most of the old black spots have been either ironed out or well restricted/signposted. Plenty of places to stop and enjoy - most obviously, Alf hasn't mentioned Brecon.

From Abergavenny, you have two choices to Usk (ignoring the A40 dual carriageway to Raglan and then the A449). Mostly, I use the B4598 because it is far less busy and travels through (even) more attractive scenery. If you don't know the road, it requires a little care in navigation. The turning from the complex roundabout system east of Abergavenny isn't terribly well signposted, and you need to be aware that you will make a right turn as you approach Llanvihangel Gobion (at the Chart House restaurant). There are lots of spots (most notably perhaps, at Chain Bridge) at which it is pleasant to pull off the road and enjoy the countryside.

Enjoy your journey!

Edited: 21 August 2010, 09:50
Mentioned in this post
Brecon
Brecon
Brecon Beacons National Park, UK
Abergavenny
Abergavenny
Monmouthshire, UK
Usk
Usk
Monmouthshire, UK
Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Carreg Cennen to Usk?

I am not going to go over what the above posters has said, just agree and say go on the A40

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Carreg Cennen to Usk?

Excellent -- sounds wonderful! Thank you all. . . have google-mapped everything, since as you know the GPS takes you on crazy journeys. . .

Is there a good road map of Wales that you'd recommend that I could order ahead of time -- or best to pick up there?

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Abergavenny South...
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Carreg Cennen to Usk?

The Wales Tourist Map, £2.99 produced by Visit Wales, obtainable from any Welsh Tourist Information Centre is a good one..

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
434 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from Carreg Cennen to Usk?

Yes - A40 is definitely the way to go (and keep in mind that Raglan Castle is on the A40 very near Usk, near the junction w/A449)

As for maps, I am a very enthusiastic supporter for the Ordnance Survey ones.

http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/

Broad mix of information and readability - have used them with great effect all across Wales.

While the Explorer Series (1:25000) ones are highly detailed, for general travel purposes, the Travel Map - Tour Series ones (1:175000) would be an excellent choice.

Tour 10 covers all of North Wales, Tour 11 the South (both overlap Mid Wales). 4.99GBP each

Sometimes the OS maps can be found in US bookstores like Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc.. I've seen them occasionally at Amazon.com. Of course they can be ordered on-line (but shipping costs from the UK would be more than the map). And, I've always seen a good selection of OS maps at most Wales Tourist Information Centers.

Enjoy the drive and enjoy Carreg Cennen, one of my favs.

Edited: 21 August 2010, 17:32
Mentioned in this post
Raglan Castle
Raglan Castle
671 Reviews
Raglan, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
7. Re: Best route from Carreg Cennen to Usk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2011, 06:58