We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
876 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone would have a good suggestion as to where is good to have a break to stretch legs on the M4, driving from Pembroke to Bristol (with 3 kids, aged 6, 5 and 1). Wouldn't mind leaving Motorway for a few miles if really worthwhile.

tenby
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Come off at M4 J42, 10 mins and you're into Swansea marina/waterfront area.

have a stroll around and see all the boats and yatchs.

seafront promenade and sandy beach for kids to run around on.

museums, galleries, cafes, ice cream parlours, etc

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Another suggestion is the National History Museum at St Fagans. It's a mile south of junction 33 of the M4 just west of Cardiff. It's actually a 100 acre park and open air museum. Free to enter (parking fee of £3.50), lots of space for the kids to run around safely, have a picnic and explore the buildings (they can also have a go at making pottery or going for a ride in a horse drawn carriage).

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Many thanks both, very helpful and much appreciated.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Another one to add to your list (depending on when they get bored) is Tredegar House, west side of Newport, very close to Jn 28.

Entrance to the park and grounds is free and there's a good children's playground. Parking is £2.

www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.cfm…

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

If your 1 year old is closer to 1 than 2, you might love Castell Coch which isn't too far from the route near Cardiff. It is a nice compact castle that is just perfect for mini-adventures and a picnic. If your 1 year old wants to walk, it gets a bit more challenging because there are lots of staircases.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

I'd avoid going into Swansea if possible - there are roadworks going on at one of the major routes into the centre which are causing jams and would make your journey even longer!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Just to overwhelm you with options there is also Margam Park just after Swansea. It is less than half a mile from J38 of the M4.

Have a look here:

onebiggarden.com/places_to_visit/margam_coun…

CARDIFF
Level Contributor
124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Cefn Mably Farm park would be a good place to stop!! It's very easy to manage kids there. Has fab indoor and outdoor activities and when you get home kids would be zonked..job done!!

It's £16 for a family ticket I think which isn't a cheap stop BUT it would be very easy for you! There's a cafe so you Gould grab a coffee and the kids can amuse themselves very warily here. It's a small family run place which is ideal. I'd say if you have bags etc in your car they'd be safe here too as it's in the sticks. Only max 10 mins off the motorway.

CARDIFF
Level Contributor
124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Cefn Mably Farm park would be a good place to stop!! It's very easy to manage kids there. Has fab indoor and outdoor activities and when you get home kids would be zonked..job done!!

It's £16 for a family ticket I think which isn't a cheap stop BUT it would be very easy for you! There's a cafe so you Gould grab a coffee and the kids can amuse themselves very warily here. It's a small family run place which is ideal. I'd say if you have bags etc in your car they'd be safe here too as it's in the sticks. Only max 10 mins off the motorway.

Just looked at the other option suggested. This is by far best if you want to get in and out with minimum fuss. (I've got 3 little ones too) Max 1 minute walk from car to entrance then it's just guiding or following the crew around. Lots of picnic benches to sit and watch as they run around and it's good in the rain too. It's not a vast site so easy to do a stroll around, maybe treat yourself to coffee by the soft play. Great food too. Lots of high chairs and good spot for one year old in soft play to crawl, toddle etc

CARDIFF
Level Contributor
124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good place to stretch legs between Pembroke and Bristol

Just looked at the other option suggested. This is by far best if you want to get in and out with minimum fuss. (I've got 3 little ones too) Max 1 minute walk from car to entrance then it's just guiding or following the crew around. Lots of picnic benches to sit and watch as they run around and it's good in the rain too. It's not a vast site so easy to do a stroll around, maybe treat yourself to coffee by the soft play. Great food too. Lots of high chairs and good spot for one year old in soft play to crawl, toddle etc