We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Usk Valley Walk

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Usk Valley Walk

I've begun thinking about summer 2012, and am considering the Usk Valley Walk. Has anyone walked all or part of it? Worth doing? I've done parts of the Offa's Dyke path and the southwest coastal path (Dorset section), and had a wonderful time.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Usk Valley Walk

ooh you know what, I'm ashamed to say that I don't think I have ever done a stretch of the actual route itself, but have done many many walks in the area over many years so it may well be that I have done what is now called the Usk Valley Walk! All I can say is that locations covered are gorgeous - rolling hills and woodlands which get more spectacular the nearer you get to Brecon. Definitely start at the Caerleon end and work northward - a journey into a beautiful wilderness.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Usk Valley Walk

Hello poe, yes i've walked most of the usk valley walk, as jim above mentioned in his post, it really is a lovely part of Wales with rolling hills and lovely green pastures. it's not as dramatic as the coastal path, or indeed Offa's dyke. The Usk valley walk is fairly flat with a mixture of trails and paths through farmers green fields, and over styles, partly canal and some river bank, small woods and forest,. You'll take in some lovely scenery becoming more hilly and mountainous as you head toward Abergavenny and Brecon, Passing between the black mountains and the Eastern Brecon Beacons, There are lovely towns and villages you pass through or close by, so you're never too far away from a nice B+B, cafe, shop or a pub. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, not too strenuous, unless you feel a need to go off trail and hike up Blorenge, Skirrid, Peny-fan, Waunfach or Tor-y-foel, All of these mountain tops you'll see en route. lovely.. Alf

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Usk Valley Walk

I'm same as the two posts above.

If you like coastal paths, have you considered the Pembrokeshire Coast Path?

There are some really nice sections; St Ann's Head for example.

http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/coastpath/

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Usk Valley Walk

Thanks for the information. I am interested in the Pembrokeshire coastal path, but since I've loved my two trips to south Wales and the marches I want to return next year. I was considering the Mortimer trail, the Wye Valley Path, and another long-distance path in Shropshire whose name I forget, but since I've never been to Brecon, I thought the Usk Valley path might be the way to go. From your descriptions, it sounds like it's the one for me (for next year, at least).

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Usk Valley Walk

Make sure you call in at Tretower Court. A lovely recently restored medieval manor house:

cadwevents.co.uk/monuments/…

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Usk Valley Walk

And for a less cultured visit go for a pint in the Bridge End Inn. If the weather is nice sit outside next to the river.

http://www.thebridgeendinn.com/

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Usk Valley Walk

There is also the "Beacons way" now THAT will test your stamina and map reading skills !!

Alf

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Usk Valley Walk

I've walked short stretches of the Usk Valley walk in & around Abergavenny area. (Llanellen & Clytha) I found the path takes one away from the river quite often, & I prefer to walk beside the water/rivers as much as possible. Also enjoyed many pleasant walks along the Newport to Brecon Canal. Also in the Abergavenny, Llanover area.

If you are ever in Scotland there are several great long distance walks. Southern Upland Way, West Highland Way, & my local The Clyde Walkway ~ Glasgow to Lanark (or Lanark to G'gow) !!!

Best of luck where ever you walk.

Many photos of mine on Panoramio/Google Earth. Jude.D

9. Re: Usk Valley Walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 20:15