We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Express train from London to Newport question...

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Express train from London to Newport question...

Hi!

A few months back I was asking about the best way to get from London to the Cardiff area, for a day trip to visit my husband's sister, and there was an express train mentioned?

I believe it left from Paddington and we'd take it to Newport (?) and it was about a 2 hour ride?

Would there be a phone number I could call to buy the tix?

Thank you so much!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Express train from London to Newport question...

Hi podo944

Yes I recall the thread - the big question was would your husband's sister collect you from Newport or not!? Has that been resolved?

In any case yes what you need to do is get the 'First Great Western' Service from Paddington to Newport. You'll normally see this service described as Paddington to Swansea, but all the FGW services to South Wales stop at Newport.

Here is the website with train times and booking information. On a quick glance I couldn't see a phone number to ring - it might be that you're encouraged to buy either online or in person at a station (you can purchase tickets at stations for future travel as well as on the day you want to travel, but buying on the day is very expensive):

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Default.aspx

London, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Express train from London to Newport question...

First great western's telesales number is 08457 000 125. I think 011 44 8457 000 125 from US.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Express train from London to Newport question...

You can book online at the website stated. www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk. You must register first just need an e mail address etc - all self explanitory. You can get fares up & check instant availability. You will need to enter an address for where your credit card is registered. When booking you must state that you want to collect tickets - they cannot be posted outside Britain.

You should then state a place to collect - I would assume London & London paddington Station is the obvious choice. You can get them printed from Fast Ticket Machine or collect from Ticket Office.

You will need to take the credit card with you that you used to pay. This is for security only.

Once you are registed it should be self explanitory. You can just "play" around to see how it works. You will not be liable for anything until you enter all your credit cards details & then enter. So just practice. I use it all the time.

Any further questions juts ask.

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Express train from London to Newport question...

hi podo944

the cheapest tickets available for this journey are apex tickets these can be single or return but you must book them at least 7 days in advance and specify what time you will be travelling at.

i tend to use the following website to book my tickets

www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk

are you heading to Cardiff or Newport? the next stop on from Newport will be Cardiff

safe journey

California
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Express train from London to Newport question...

Thanks for all the help! You guys are great!

I'll check out all the info!

Right Jim... there was some discussion about obligations and such concerning relatives.

My sister in law lives around Bleanavan (sp?) and there was no issure concerning her picking us up from Newport, actually she's the one who said that's where we'd be picked up. :-)

Cheers!

6. Re: Express train from London to Newport question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 05:25