We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B reservations necessary ?

Bonn
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
B&B reservations necessary ?

We´ll be arriving in Cardiff on the 16th. Do you think it´s necessary to book a b&b already or is it enough if we just stroll round the Cathedral Road area to find a nice little place ?

Where´s Bute park ? Somebody suggested that as a leisure activity ?

And most important: What´s the weather like ??

Thanks for your help....Caroline

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B reservations necessary ?

Caroline: I always prefer to have reservations before traveling but that's just me.

Bute Park is near Cardiff Castle, which is definitely worth a visit.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B reservations necessary ?

There is no need to make a reservation in Cardiff unless there is a major event on at the Millennium Stadium. (And if there is around the 16th, it'd be way to late to make one now.) But I think it would make more sense to drop into the TIC near Cardiff Central to get them to book you a room, rather than wander around Cathedral Road.

Bute Park is a linear park, starting at Cardiff Castle and running north-west, following the River Taff. I'm not sure how far it goes, but it goes at least as far as Llandaff Cathedral, because I walked through the park to get to the cathedral.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B reservations necessary ?

Hi Caroline

Well, strictly speaking you won't need to reserve a place because you'll be bound to find a room somewhere. but you don't want to end up being disappointed. There are three B&Bs in Cathedral Road which seem to rate consistently well for comfort and character so you could remove that burden and sort your accommodation now. They are:

The Beaufort:

http://www.beauforthousecardiff.co.uk/

Lincoln House:

http://www.lincolnhotel.co.uk/

and Preste Gaarden:

http://www.cosycardiffhotel.co.uk/

I would suggest avoiding the Abbey Hotel, and the Church Town House, judging by the recent reviews on here.

Bute Park runs parallel to Cathedral Road and can be accessed at several points - although the whole park is generally referred to as Bute Park it is actually several parks joined into one giant open area covering several square miles - Coopers Field, Llandaff Fields, Bute Park, Castle Park, Sophia Gardens. The River Taff flows through it and there is a pedestrain footbridge taking you from Sophia Gardens into Bute Park proper - which has pathways and an arboretum.

It is a good way to reach the castle, there's a jetty for the waterbus to the Bay, and walk beyond the castle and you get to the civic centre and shops.

as for weather - well we have had a glorious April but the heatwave is coming to an end - on average expect temperatures to be around the mid 60s - but that can vary 10f or so either way! There is of course the ever present risk of rain but you would be unlucky to have constant downpours during your visit.

There is a good Welsh pub 'Y Mochyn Du' in Sophia Close just off Cathedral Road.

Have fun

Jim

Bonn
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B reservations necessary ?

Great ! Thanks Jim and all of you...you´re great help !

Caroline

5. Re: B&B reservations necessary ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Cardiff