We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

UK
1 post
Save Topic
Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

Am visiting Rhondda shortly, and intend to spend a Friday evening out in Cardiff. Trains appear to finsih early. Will a taxi back mean I have to take out a small mortgage? Really don't want to miss what I have heard is a very enjoyable nightlife.

Missoula
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Other Food & Drink
Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
998 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

not sure of exact price but your looking around £10 depending what part you are going to.its a big area the rhonnda

Cardiff
Level Contributor
137 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

What taxi firm are you using? It's cost £10 to Tongwynlais, I'd double or even treble that.

Mentioned in this post
Tongwynlais
Tongwynlais
Cardiff, UK
Cardiff
Level Contributor
137 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

Actually, ring capital cabs on 02920777777 and they'll give you a quote

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

It depends on what part of the Rhonda but I guess £40 plus. I live in opposite Valley & cost £25 for journey that was quite bit less in distance.

If you get a quote - I would be interested to know.

The last train you can get would be at apprx 2330 in that diection. It would depend what station you want you want & taxi from there my be cheaper....unless that time is much too early for you.

If you want awhole night out trains will start agian from 0530 ish & as some places clubs / pubs open til 0400 or later, it is worth a thought.

If you do need a taxi from a station in the valleys / Rhonda - bit of advice -Book a day or 2 ahead or more. Many taxi offices close at 1200 & only limited number of cabs.When they are gone:they are gone. When I moved to this area I couldn't believe it as they are so behind the times. In Cardiff obviously you can get a taxi anytime, but note that often have to wait hours to get an available one at busy times.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,972 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

Have you considered getting somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay in Cardiff for the night. If there are a couple of you it might even be cheaper than the taxi fare.

Etap does rooms with up to triple occupancy for 35bgp per night at weekends. see the url for details:

etaphotel.com/etaphotel/…fiche_hotel.shtml

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

Its cost me £45 a few years back . Admittedly it was sleating. Depends wher in the Rhondda you are though.

I'd go with the Etap option.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

I used to pay about £25-30 and that was about 10 years ago from Cardiff City Centre to Penygraig which is the lower end of the Rhondda Fawr. I would now expect to pay about £35-40 for the same journey. You then have to consider that the Rhondda goes up a lot further than Penygraig so if your journey was to Treorchy or Treherbet I'd add approximately another £10 to the cost.

Also many cab drivers will not do this length of journey late at night. So if you are still thinking of taking a taxi forget the black cabs and head for one of the private hire offices. You'll have a much better chance of getting one and less chance of being ripped off!

WALES,UK
Level Contributor
194 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

Ive paid from £25-£45 (depending on how drunk we are & how much were willing to haggle) to the Porth area which is the start of the Rhondda.

I'd advise you to try a few different taxis, don't fall for the meter trick and agree a price BEFORE you leave.

You could also try and get a price from a Rhondda based taxi, as a lot of them are back and for Cardiff on Friday & Saturday.

Travel Lodge also an option as its right in the middle of the nightlife area in Mary Street.

9. Re: Cardiff to Rhondda by taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 23:18