We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

Ironbridge, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay around central Cardiff for a young professional person (just left uni with huge dept!) visiting for about 2 weeks in May? It needs to be clean,warm and friendly but not too expensive. Doing some work there on and off and looking for somewhere permanent to live.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

Shannon

No matter how cheap and central, avoid the Sandringham, check out the reviews.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

A mate of mine stayed at Nomad Hostel - 10mins or less walk from centre. Opened 2007 I think. Ideal or budget tarveller. Very basic. Ie. no TV in room etc, just bed & wardrobe, but surprisingly clean. Has good priced bar & TV room, cooking facilities etc. Prices show in $USD on website from $26-$36 per room nightly. I cannot remember website, but if interested I can get phone number for you, and even call the owner, Sean, to check dates & exact cost. It's probably better than some of rotten BBs in area & if you don't want lots of facilities it may be a good choice.

Agree that Sandringham has poor reports & I would avoid Dragon Hotel also.

If you want something bit more like BB, then I can seek a few out.

Other optionis to stay outside Cardiff,as generally cheaper, such as Caerphilly area & get train in as very good rail service to valleys area.

Let me know if you need any more info.

London
Level Contributor
146 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

We stayed in the Etap hotel- it was clean and cheap. Television in the room, shower and bed. Each room sleeps 3 people and is a flat rate of £35 regardless of guests in the room.

About a 5-10 minute walk into town/station.

wales
Level Contributor
451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

The Ibis is very clean and right by the center with parking opposite.

Essex
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

I've stayed at the Nomad hostel and thought it was excellent value for money. And only a short walk into the city - it's located just off of Newport Rd, near the Cardiff Uni buildings.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

I have also heard the Etap as ideal budget place to stay but like any places that are well priced - they bok up fast. As many events on in Cardiff I suggest bookng asap for any such accommodation.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

I can recommend the etap.

Ironbridge, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I will check out the accomodation suggested and avoid the bad ones!

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Cardiff.

caerphilly
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

hi!

did you have any luck with finding somewhere to stay in may? i know that there are a couple of "events" on in cardiff so it maybe busy! i run a hotel in caerphilly - caerphilly north premier inn. it is only 9 miles from cardiff with good bus and rail links. please give me - kim - a call if you would like any further information.tel: 02920 854530.

i hope you enjoy your visit to wales!

wales
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: good cheap accomodation in Cardiff

travel loge is good and cheap to, not far from bars and clubs either or shopping center.

Get answers to your questions about Cardiff