We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BBC website drops its eating out review page

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
BBC website drops its eating out review page

One of the best review sites for places to eat out in south east Wales has been dropped by the BBC from its "Where I live" site, in the interests of focusing on its "core services".

I can appreciate why the BBC is probably wondering why it got itself involved in hosting restaurant and pub reviews. However, for many many people it has been by far the best site and overnight these reviews, built up over years, have been wiped out, leaving an enormous vaccuum.

Does anyone have any ideas on alternative high quality sites for reviewing local restaurants? Many sites I find are pretty non-user friendly.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BBC website drops its eating out review page

AAArgh, all gone, including mine no doubt. Sheesh:-(

TA allow restaurant reviews in the US, but not here. Perhaps some lobbying is in order.

The BBC restaurant reviews were a great asset and I always hoped they would roll it out in Scotland.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BBC website drops its eating out review page

One of the website recommendations on the NY Tripadvisor forum is a site called www.menupages.com which has menus and reviews for almost every restaurant, cafe, deli in the city. It's a fantastic resource and it would be great if there was a Welsh version or even better a UK one for major cities.

So if there's a bored website developer out there ...... :-)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BBC website drops its eating out review page

The website below sounds promising. Has its own reviews plus reader reviews:

http://www.restaurant-guide.com/uk+wales.htm

4. Re: BBC website drops its eating out review page

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 11:21