We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philippines
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

hello! me and 3 other colleagues will be in cardiff gate business park (for business) starting june 3rd and will be staying for a couple of weeks. since our trip is for business, we don't have the luxury of frolicking around the whole day, so are "get-aways" will be from the hours of 5pm onwards during weekdays, and the whole day for weekends (sat-sun).

i've heard so many nice things and places about cardiff and i'm keen on visting cardiff castle for starters (i'm fond of old, medieval stuff) ..any advice for more sight seeing with our limited time? thanks in advance!!

by the way, is llanfair far from cardiff? i was hoping to get a pic by the really long namepost :) thanks!!

shaun

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

Lots of great weekend possibilities from Cardiff. For example, Wye Valley, including Chepstow, Tintern, Monmouth, Symons Yat; Swansea & the Gower Peninsula; Brecon Beacons.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

Cardiff, wonderful castle that it is, is mainly Victorian. The grand vision of the Marquess of Bute,a coal magnate, you can visit the amazing rooms he had built for him and his family by William Burgess. There is an 11th century keep and some roman remains and the castle is most definately a must-see.

The Museum of Welsh Life in nearby St Fagans shouldn't be missed. 50 acres of buildings from all over Wales representing all aspects of Welsh life through the ages.

LLainfair is on the island of Anglesey, at the other end of the country so you may have to manage with a photo from a souvenier shop.

Washington State...
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

Don't miss visiting Caerphilly Castle! It'd be a good trip for the weekend, and is a really formidable ancient castle ruin. It's not that far of a trip of Cardiff. I can't exactly remember, but I think Caerphilly is only about 15 miles away from Cardiff? A local might want to make sure that's accurate. :)

http://www.castlewales.com/caerphil.html

Also, Castell Coch - which has ties to Cardiff Castle, is really lovely. Definitely more along the vein of Cardiff.

http://www.ecastles.co.uk/coch.html

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

Hi there,

If you have evenings free, you should try and get down to Cardiff Bay to soak up the atmosphere and maybe enjoy a boat trip. There are some great places to eat and drink down there and enjoy the views.

The castles are definately worth a visit, Cardiff, Castel Coch (just North of Cardiff) and Caerphilly (20 minutes away from Cardiff by train or car).

The National Museum in the civic centre is worth a visit too. Hope you have a fab time here.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

Oh yes, I meant to put in my previous post, if you're a sports fan you might like to visit the Millenium Stadium....

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

You can get good steaks and fresh fish in an informal lively atmosphere at Le Monde, or Brasserie (both in St Mary Street), or catch a boat from Mermaid Quay to the Barrage and eat at the Custom House (again informal and good food).

Cardiff
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

Take it you mean July 3rd??

Cardiff gate is a bit out of the way without a car. Are you staying at the IBIS?

There is a great pub at cardiff gate that offers a great carvery meal. And the Unicorn inn is a 10-15 min walk from Cardiff Gate but ask directions or you will get lost.

Of course the city centre is where you want to go, that is not easy to get to from Cardiff gate, but walk over by ASDA (10 mins) and there are plenty of busses there.

What business will you be at?

Get to see Castle Coch, Caerphilly Castle and of course ther National Museum of Wales if you can

Muck

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

Most historic attractions close by 1800 or earlier so you'll be using your weekends to do the historical sites. Check the website cadw.wales.gov.uk that will give you details on Caerphilly, castell coch, Raglan and chepstow castles all within 30 mins drive and tintern abbey in the wye valley. More stateley type houses can be seen on nationaltrust.org.uk throughout wales. If you're interested in a coal mine then visit the big pit north of newport, as you get to go underground. Theres also roman remains at Caerleon see the cadw website just off the M4 motorway by newport. You'll be staying just off the M4.

The welsh museum at St.Fagans just off the M4 by Cardiff is free and has a selection of old buildings reconstructed from all around wales and theres various craft activities throughout the days.

Unfortunately Llanfair is on anglesey which could take 4-5 hours to drive there!!!!!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting cardiff for 2 weeks

I'VE just seen theres a military historical re-enactment at caerleon over the 9-10th July, see the cadw website. A further website for the big pit and St.Fagans museums is nmgw.ac.uk

If you wish to cross into england over the severn bridge, a pretty good trip to bristol can be had. It will take you about 1- 1.5 hours if you're interested in nautical things, the suspension bridge in Clifton see visitbristol.co.uk. Additionaly there is the bristol harbour festival over the 23-24 th july well worth a visit and again its free--parking can be a problem though. On the same weekend theres a meideval joust held at berkeley castle just north of the severn bridge with re-enactors firing cannons pitched battles etc

If you require any further details then ask......