We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

Hoping to find a nice Indian Restaurant in Mermaid Quay, but would appreciate any recommendations for favourite eateries/bars in the area. I'm getting hungry.

Many thanks!

Wales
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

Cafe Naz and Spice Merchant are both good. There's also the one opposite Tesco in Mermaid Quay - a few different things on the menu.

Personally I fancy Cafe Naz. Mmmm .....

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

Agree that both the Spice Merchant and Cafe Naz are good but if pushed to choose I'd go for the Spice Merchant for a different taste and atmosphere.

The one opposite Tesco is called Moksh and has some unusual dishes on the menu but I've never eaten there - tried once at lunchtime but they took so long that we gave up and went back to work

A new restaurant (as yet untested by the staff in my office!) is Cosmo which is Asian rather than strictly Indian so covers cusines from China, Japan, Thailand, Korea, India, Singapore, Vietnam etc. Looks interesting so would like to hear what it's like

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

I haven't eaten at Spice Merchant for years but have heard mixed reports lately. Never eaten at Cafe Naz. Does it have to be the Bay? There are some better Indian restaurants in the city. Spice Quarter is the best Indian Restaurant I have eaten at in Cardiff:

www.spicequarter.co.uk/cardiff/contact.htm

Mimosa is a gem and not a chain either - Welsh organic produce but a cosmopolitan menu and good wine/beer list.

http://www.mimosakitchen.co.uk/

Cardiff
Level Contributor
137 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

My favourite is SpiceRoute in Red Dragon centre

http://www.spiceroute.eu/

It's a buffet but excellent, you can tell it's good by the number of Asians who eat there

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wondered across to Spice Merchant but they didn't have a menu in the window.

I won't step inside any eatery that doesn't display the menu outside, so Moksh it was. Nice place, pleasant staff and ambience, lovely sauces to go with the poppadoms too. Apparently the lamb pasanda was 'amazin, best I've ever tasted!' and the other diners were equally happy. My biryani however was disappointing in that it was accompanied by a small ramekin of watery, bland and only slightly warm thin curry sauce:( That said the naan bread was delish. I would definitely give it another go, and try something else next time.

I belatedly discovered the location of Cafe Naz and will most likely pay it a visit next time. Our meal at Pearl of the Orient (another night) was the bees knees, the staff were lovely and jolly, and having a guy tinkling the ivories as we ate was the cherry on top. Lovely views of the Plas from the window seats as the sun set!

Sadly only managed to fit in a hot chocolate at Mimosa, but again I plan to pay it a visit next time as the menu looked inspired and the staff were very welcoming.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
844 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

Several people in my office have now tried Cosmo and raved about it - one or two are real foodies as well. So it will be on my list now to try

Wales
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

Pearl of the Orient has an excellent reputation, so good to hear it pleased. I haven't been for a while.

Personally, I find the menu at Mokhsh [sp?] a bit limited, which is why I prefer Naz (which has some interesting variations, but plenty of familiar stuff too) and Spice Merchant (which has a more "traditional" menu).

I've heard mixed reviews of Cosmo, but I suppose it was a good sign that I coudn't get in on Friday night.

I should have followed my own advice - always book a table for a Friday or Saturday night in Cardiff Bay!

8. Re: Recommended Restaurants and bars in the Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 05:17