We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help getting from hotel to city centre

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help getting from hotel to city centre

Hello. We are staying at Mercure The Lodge for a few nights in early Sept. and we have a car

I know it's bit out of the city centre and industrial area. From reviews some say it's a 10 min walk, some say it's 25m and they didn't feel safe walking. What is the reality?

If walking (or driving to city centre)is not recommended, how do we get a cab back once in Cardiff? Do you have to call a service or can you hail cabs on the street?

Also is it walk, drive or cab to Mermaid Quay from Mercure?

Thanks much

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help getting from hotel to city centre

Hi there

You are just on the edge of the city centre. It is not the most pretty of locations but in the daytime it is absolutely fine to walk and I have done it myself. Some people have posted about crossing the road between the Lodge and the road to the Bay. I can't comment on that as I have not had to do that. In the evening, I would say book a taxi just for peace of mind, but once you are there you can judge for yourself. To be honest I would be surprised if you had a problem but there is nothing worse than having a lingering doubt in your mind. The problem to be honest is that "Tyndall Street" which is nearby and which connects the Lodge with Callaghan Square had a bit of a reputation as a haunt of the ladies of the night, even though for the last 10 years it has been largely a building site. However a few desperate souls may well still hang around. You will probably not be able to hail a cab though as it is not on the main routes, but don't worry, you are pretty close to everything you need to be close to.

I hope that helps and does not put you off. Please PM me if you have any other questions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help getting from hotel to city centre

Thanks and no it doesn't put me off at all :-)

I will message you for just a few more specific bits.

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help getting from hotel to city centre

I regularly stay at the Mercure Lodge during the rugby season.

I'd say 10 minutes to the City Centre would be a brisk walk - I normally allow 20/25 minutes to walk to Cardiff Arms Park, which is at the opposite side of the city centre to the Mercure.

On the safety side I've never felt uneasy or unsafe at anytime of the day or night - but Cardiff is my 'home' city. I'd echo Jim's sentiments about getting a taxi first time up, or walking it for the first time in the daytime so you're confident about the route before doing it at night (there is also a 'shortcut' to the City Centre down Ellen Street, opposite the Novotel, and then using a footbridge over the railway lines, but that may be something you want to leave to the locals). Also certain ladies do still frequent Tyndall Street - particularly at the bus stops outside the Novotel, but I always regard them as a little local 'colour' rather than than any sort of threat.

Mermaid Quay is again a 15/20 minute walk - make sure you take Schooner Way not the link road, which is a bit of a motorway - but unless you're planning on drinking I'd think about driving down there, parking is plentiful and reasonably priced. If you do plan on drinking and don't want to walk, the return taxis wait by the Tesco Extra shop on the entrance to Mermaid Quay.

peterborough
Level Contributor
978 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help getting from hotel to city centre

Hi

I walked back with my hubbie after the Speedway Grandprix at 10.00 p.m and it felt fine ,we were staying at Premier Inn at Splot which is a little bit further.

We just took our time and I made it ok and I hate walking :)we also parked up and left the car there and walked in.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help getting from hotel to city centre

Thanks all, very helpful.

We chose The Lodge for the free parking and we don't mind walking everywhere. It's good to have a confirmed route and know what to expect though.

As for the Ladies, everyone's got to make a living

:-)

6. Re: Help getting from hotel to city centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 06:25