We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Cardiff

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
County Westmeath...
Level Contributor
224 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours in Cardiff

Hi All

Heading over from Ireland for one of the Autumn Internationals in November. We will be in the city centre for most of the day so looking for just one or two recommended bars and restaurants. Celtic v Rangers is on the box the same day so hope to go to Dempseys. Some of our group may prefer to stay outdoors before going to the Millennium Stadium - any nice walks close by - the castle maybe ? For after the match, any nice little hidden away secret welsh bars we could go to ? To finish off the night, any good 80's night clubs in the centre ? and finally any hassle getting taxis late on a Sat night ? I presume there are lots of ranks ??

CARDIFF
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in Cardiff

Hi

I hope you have a great weekend. I live in Cardiff and love the night life etc... There are so many options you could choose. I would go to Cardiff Bay first for drinks(loads of nice restasurnts too). Then catch a water taxi up to the city centre. There are plenty of nice walks. The castle grounds at the top very near to the Stadium are worth a stroll around.

My advise would be the bay (dont walk to the town centre there quite a rough patch in between) get a water taxi or bus and then just have fun.

SARAH

Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours in Cardiff

A good 80's club is 'Reflex' on St Marys street, or 'Lava Lounge' on St Marys street in a complex called the brewery quarter.

Cardiff is mad on International days and getting a taxi is a nightmare. There is a taxi rank on westgate Street. Try and book one early in the day.

I find that 'Yates' on westgate street is a good place to watch the match. Most people go there for a drink just before the match and then it empties out as most people have tickets to see the game.

All the pubs will be packed, avoid the walkabout, it's crazy in there.

Go to www.itchycardiff.co.uk for loads of info on clubs and restaurants in Cardiff.

I'll be going to Varsity near the new Theatre, you can pre book a table and the drinks are quite reasonable. Also, it's right next to Lloyds Bar (a weatherspoons pub) which is cheap.

Some places may charge an entry fee on international day.

Have a great time, enjoy yourselves!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in Cardiff

Taxi's do prove a bit of a nightmare on matchdays, depending where you are stopping the trains are not to bad! All pubs do get packed, however in fairness to the pubs, they have got use to big crowds and always staff them well, whilst you may queue to get in, the service inside is not to bad! If you walk 5 minutes out of town, the pubs should not be to bad. I do totally agree that Walkabout is a place to avoid, it seems anyone who does not have a ticket goes to this place which means being there well before kick off. One thing with Cardiff you will not go thirsty. The location of the ground is fantastic, you will have a fantastic time! Enjoy

County Westmeath...
Level Contributor
224 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in Cardiff

Hi there

Many thanks for imformative and prompt replies. We will certainly go to the bay first and get the waterbus or water taxi up to the city centre - how long is this journey timewise by boat ? As there are nine of us, I think we might be better prebooking a minibus maybe for both trips from the hotel (Days Inn at the Airport - cheap and cheerful I know !!) Any recommended companies ? I can get names off the web but just wondered if there was any to avoid etc ? Cheers again all.

Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours in Cardiff

I have never been on the water bus before, but if you go to www.penarth-online.co.uk/cardiff_bay.htm you will be able to look at a timetable and prices.

The taxi firm I always use in Cardiff is called Dragon Taxis and their number is 02920 333333. I have never had any problems with them.

Also, have you considered an open top bus tour? You can book online and find out more info at www.city-sightseeing.com. It's just under an hour and costs around £7.

Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours in Cardiff

p.s - what match are u going to see? getting tickets has been a nightmare!!!

County Westmeath...
Level Contributor
224 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hours in Cardiff

Hi CelticGal

We are going to the South Africa match on Nov 19th.

Got tickets from WRU - easier to get tickets than All Blacks or Australia.

Are you a Celtic supporter ? Dempseys then to watch the old firm derby ?

Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hours in Cardiff

Hi,

I was supposed to be going to the same match. unfortunately, we have had to re arrange our holiday plans due to hurricane wilma so now we are going to miss it!

you will have a great time.

Laura

p.s - yes I am a celtic fan!