We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ttrip report-only 2 days

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Ttrip report-only 2 days

This was our first time to Wales and thoroughly enjoyed it. We got a late start from Bath but the drive is pretty quick and straightforward. Going over the Severn is a highlite in itself. The only hang up was construction (and more construction to come!). We found our way to Mercure Lodge hotel. You can see my review there. I was a bit disappointed, but had chose it for rate,free parking and it's proximity to both bay and city center. On those criteria alone it served it's purpose.

We checked in and walked to City center. It's bit dodgy running across the roundabouts off Bute beacuse people fly, but only about an 8 min. walk to center.

From the edge of the center where the new St David's shopping center is being built there was construction everywhere! Certainly looks like Cardiff is a city on the up! I know the Ryder cup is coming there next year and when it came to my city it was construction madness also. We spent the afternoon just wandering the streets and old arcades which are beautiful. Good thing they are covered also because there was a pelting down rain in the afternoon. We walked up and around Cardiff Castle. I was very disappointe we did not get a chance to do the tour but hubby had caught a bug (prob on the plane) and was not feeling well. So no Brains for us either! :-( Took him back and put him to bed to be ready for our next days touring.

We set out early and drove up to Caerphilly Castle which is beautiful. It's funny how such ancient sites are smack in the middle of so many towns in the UK and people get to walk by everyday on their way to work. It was a beautiful day after the rain and it seemed alot of residents were taking advantage of the park for lunch. We were fascinated by the weapons and how difficult it appeared to be to take a castle. I learned that alot of time the opposing army would just send slaves to pic away at the foudnations in hope of bringing down the walls! What a job! I guess the easist way was simply to starve the residents out, thus avoiding getting a boulder off your head.

We drove on the 470 up to the A40 thru the Brecon Beacons and the vistas along the road are simply stunning. We stopped for a couple of walking trails and wished we had more time to explore. We made our way finally to Abergavenny for late lunch. I'm sorry I failed to note the name of the restaurant but it was inside the downtown market. It is a lovely town and the graveyard in the center is fascinating.

Made it back to the hotel in the dark and headed to the Bay for a walk around and late dinner. It was jammed with people despite it being past summer holidays. We just stopped in a pizza restaurant as they had the shortest wait. Looked like lots of stags and hens. Parking was cheap and we ended up just sitting on the bay enjoying the night breeze and watching all partiers going by.

We would definitely come back to Wales in hopes of seeing more of the country. It's naturalally beautiful place and everyone we met was friendly and helpful.

Also thanks to Cardiff Jim for answering my questions and giving me driving route. It was superb!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,547 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ttrip report-only 2 days

There is still some construction work around St David’s shopping centre but it will look fantastic when it is finished. Just missed the opening of John Lewis, Wales largest department store, the first opening of a £675 million development. Will have to return when everything has finished. Excellent trip report, glad you enjoyed your stay.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ttrip report-only 2 days

Great trip report but eeek! Don't wander across the middle of roundabouts! It's generally a LOT safer to walk round the edge and cross the entering roads one by one as you come to them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ttrip report-only 2 days

I know! I know! I'm horrible about it!

Hubby is always on me about the way I cross streets both there and here! I scare him to death. He thinks I'm not watching, but I am. However there is a high probablity my luck will run out one of these days. I certainly don't condone my bad habits. I just get so excited to be where I'm going.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ttrip report-only 2 days

Thanks for taking the time to post the trip report flanna, and I've enjoyed reading your Cornwall, Bath and London reports as well. What comes out clearly is that you thoroughly enjoyed your trip to the UK, which is great to see.

Oh yes, the construction, we have been reaching the point of desperation in Cardiff after three years of upheaval, noise and dust in the city centre. Fortunately there are just three weeks of it left before St Davids 2 opens!

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ttrip report-only 2 days

Loved your report and the enthusiasm about our country. It's wonderful to hear it afresh through visitors views and report.

Just one comment - the Ryder Cup will be in Newport not Cardiff. I know Cardiff will be affected by this (inevitable) but this is such a major event for Newport that I can't see it be credited to Cardiff!!

The city of Newport is making major changes to accomodate the event - good luck to it

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ttrip report-only 2 days

Ooops!! My mistake! but I hope the Cup will bring visitors to all parts of Wales as it is truly lovely country.

7. Re: Ttrip report-only 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cardiff
Recent Conversations