We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Tea

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Afternoon Tea

I've been enjoying reading about the London forum's afternoon tea in Windsor which was held just after Christmas. Some of the London forum contributors also meet on a regular basis at London pubs. The groups are made up of locals and visitors to London, mostly from overseas, U.S. in particular. Called TALF.

Has there ever been any interest in doing the same in Cardiff or other parts of Wales? Can anyone recommend a place for afternoon tea in the Cardiff area?

Airedale
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Tea

The Orchid Room at James Howells in Cardiff would probably be the best bet for afternoon tea in Cardiff.

Situated in the City centre it can be combined with the best shopping that Cardiff has to offer and that is saying something. Enjoy!!

Edited: 01 January 2010, 20:35
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Tea

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Not more afternoon teas!! :-)

If it's during one of our school holidays, or *possibly* a weekend, I could be tempted along. There's a ghost walk in Cardiff I'd like to try out sometime.

Airedale
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Tea

School holidays and afternoon tea and shopping!!

Afternoon tea does have an attraction for those who have been limited to School holidays in the past!!

Your time will come. Believe me!

Edited: 01 January 2010, 20:56
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon Tea

Yes, the ghost walk looks interesting. It starts at the Cathedral near where I stay when I'm in Cardiff. We'll have to speak to JimCardiffResident and see what we can do. Perhaps it can be combined with a pub meet instead of afternoon tea.

I was going to try to join you in Windsor, Gilligan, but my plans changed and I'll probably be coming later in the spring.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon Tea

OK, well keep in touch!

Wales
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon Tea

I'm sure Jim will be able to advise on the ghost walk too. I've heard very good things about it.

Bad news for Passedit thought: James Howells is now called "House of Fraser" - though no self-respecting Cardiffian will EVER call it that. (My mother reminded me that they tried to re-name it a few years ago, but the people of Cardiff threatened a boycott, and the then-owners relented and kept the historic name).

Abergavenny South...
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon Tea

For a superb afternoon tea try The Angel hotel in Abergavenny, a 50minute train journey from Cardiff.

This elegant Georgian former coaching inn knows about tea. A member of the prestigious UK Tea Guild, it is one of only six hotels outside London to gain the Award of Excellence this year. The tea menu reads like a connoisseur’s wine list, from the “light buttery taste” of lemon verbena to the “rich and full-bodied aroma with hints of muscatel” of the Darjeeling second flush. At £9.80pp for the full afternoon tea, you tuck into Black Mountain smoked salmon, home-cooked ham and egg mayonnaise sandwiches followed by scones with jam, clotted cream, whipped Fresian cream or butter. Open daily, 3pm to 5pm.

The Gliffaes Country House hotel in Crickhowell ( about 6 miles from Abergavenny also serves a superb afternoon tea, you can visit the table and help yourself as many times as you can mange! Lovely home made cakes and scones together with superb sandwiches!

● 01873 857121/www.angelhotelabergavenny.com

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon Tea

There is a place serving afternoon teas right opposite Llandaff Cathedral. I've never been there so can't vouch for its quality (we're probably not talking Kensington and Mayfair ambience, but it looks cosy enough and you won't be paying Kensington and Mayfair prices!).

Handy for a stop when visiting the Cathedral, and for evening dinner you could go to the newly refurbished (and haunted!) Maltsters nearby.

http://jasperstearooms.com/jtr/index.htm

http://www.maltsterscardiff.com/

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon Tea

I see that they have welsh cakes, too, you won't get those in London!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon Tea

I would say that The St. David's Hotel & Spa, in Cardiff Bay, has a great Afternoon Tea product, Cardiff's only 5 star hotel, and also the views from the Tides restaurant and wonderful.

They offer normal afternoon tea, or Champagne afternoon tea.

Kind Regards