We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elmira, Ontario...
3 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

We are arriving at Gatwick Airport at 06:00 on a thursday morning and wondering what the easiest way is to get to Cardiff. Have son-in-law and daughter in Cardiff that could pick us up at the airport bu I an wondering if it would be easier by train.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

Nah, train is a pain. You'll have to go via London and change terminals there (or take a tediously slow cross-country train).

It's about a 3-hour drive to Gatwick from Cardiff or vice versa, if the roads are clear. You will be hitting the M25/M4 - among the busiest stretches of road in the UK - at rush hour if your daughter picks you up ....

If you want to save her the journey it's probably best to use a National Express coach. It's also easier/cheaper to get on an earlier/later service if you're earlier/later. Pre-book at www.nationalexpress.com.

The downside is that it's a long journey, via Heathrow Airport - but you may want to sleep anyway if you've had a red-eye flight. There is a toilet on board, but if you think you'll need food, take it with you.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,666 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

Go via Reading - takes the same time as via London and you don't have to haul luggage between different stations.

Picking random dates about a month in the future and I see prices about £24.00 per person each way - which is going to be WAY cheaper than using the coach services.

Don't know when you are travelling but book 6-12 weeks in advance and you could get a price as low as £12 per person each way

www.eastcoast.co.uk

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

Yes,if you are not being picked up,train Gatwick/Reading/Cardiff is the way to go.

It is a long way for someone to drive from Cardiff and back.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

The two posts above are talking about the train.

I still think the coach is better and more relaxing than train. This is the way I choose to go between Gatwick airport and Cardiff by public transport. You don't have to change - so can sleep all the way if you choose - plus it's a much more flexible option if you're delayed or early.

By all means investigate the trains as suggested above, but the posters appear to be in Scotland and may not be used to travelling from LGW to Cardiff. That might also be why one of them has suggested the website for the rail company that runs between London and Scotland. The relevant companies for Wales are First Great Western (firstgreatwestern.co.uk) and Arriva Trains Wales (arrivatrainswales.co.uk). Your station in Cardiff is Cardiff Central.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

The Eastcoast site is apparently the easiest for overseas visitors to use and will book any journey.

Some other sites will not take foreign credit cards.

Elmira, Ontario...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

thanks for the input. We are from Canada where public transit is not very popular. I am afraid that I will spent my vacation trying to figure the system. We have only traveled with rail once before.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

Public transport isn't always popular here either for one reason or another!

If you think your daughter won't think you're hinting for her to come to Gatwick to pick her up, maybe you could ask her and your son-in-law what they think is the best option for you?

cardiff
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

I'm not sure I agree that the train is so bad.

I think the trains from Gatwick-Central London are pretty frequent, and there are trains every 30 minutes from London-Cardiff..The Cardiff trains leave from London PAddington, but I'm not sure which one the Gatwick train gets into. Either way, a few stops on the London Underground will see you fine.

Book in advance too, the train tickets can be a lot cheaper.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,666 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

<<< By all means investigate the trains as suggested above, but the posters appear to be in Scotland and may not be used to travelling from LGW to Cardiff. >>>

No, it's because eastcoast allow overseas based people to book through them and they don't make any charges for CC use or for issuing tickets.

I can't see how a journey that is slower, infrequent (every two hours) and costs more (£40 one way) than the train is going to be better

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick Airport to Cardiff

<<f.The Cardiff trains leave from London Paddington, but I'm not sure which one the Gatwick train gets into. Either way, a few stops on the London Underground will see you fine.>>

Or if you go via Reading, as said several times, you pick up the Paddington -> Cardiff train there, with the simplest of transfers, a 1 minute walk (at most) along level ground from one platform to another (4a or 4b to 4) , with no stairs, escalators, crowds, tube trains or anything else to negotiate.