We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff trip without a car

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cardiff trip without a car

My 15 year old daughter and I will be in Cardiff for 4 days in a few weeks. We will be staying at the Marriott and won't have a car. We have already seen all the touristy places in Cardiff as well as the castles in the South Wales area. We are looking for day trips as well as something interesting, different and allows us to integrate into the Welsh culture. We enjoy open air markets and shopping as well. We are also looking for interesting and different places to eat around the hotel Don't want to eat what I can get in the States. Lastly, do they ask for proof of age when going to clubs? My daughter looks 20 and I would like to take her to a club just so she can see what one is like.

Mentioned in this post
CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cardiff trip without a car

When were you last in Cardiff ??

City centre has changed dramatically during the last 6 months with the opening of the new St David's 2 complex !!!!

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cardiff trip without a car

As you won't have a car one suggestion would be to take one of the guided tours by coach or minibus - there are quite a few companies who do this but as I have never been on one don't think I am the person to recommend a single company! Google "day trips from Cardiff" to see a selection.

Otherwise as an independent traveller there are many destinations by train or bus - the Marriott is very near to Cardiff Central Station. Coast or valleys are within easy reach of Cardiff by public transport.

But as previously said the centre of Cardiff has changed dramaticaly so allow yourself some time for that as well.

Loads of restaurants to chose from but as cuisine around the world becomes more accessible you may find the usual chains serving the same food as you would get in the States. Restaurants serving traditional Welsh food include the Armless Dragon, Mimosa, and, a new one to me, is Sosban Fach - looks interesting. The last two are in Cardiff Bay - the blue "bendy bus" (no 6) goes from St Mary's Street (near the hotel) to the Bay every 10 minutes and takes a few minutes- get off at the Millenium Centre.

Proof of age - yes!! My 22 year old daughter is always being asked for her identity card / passport when in pubs and clubs - the 18 year old rule is mostly striclty adhered to because of the fines payable by landlords / owners. You may want to chance it - some places will allow her entry but not a drink when she is in. If you want I can ask her which club might allow your daughter entry?

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff Bay
Cardiff Bay
5,214 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cardiff trip without a car

My daughter doesn't drink and will be under the watchful eye on myself and my husband. Having been raised in Europe, which was many years ago, I know I was able to get into clubs at the age of 15 especially when accompanied by my parents. Would you mind asking your daughter which one would be good? Also we will be there Mon-Thurs.

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cardiff trip without a car

Will do - get back to you in a couple of days!

5. Re: Cardiff trip without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 06:17