We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog friendly parks?

Crab Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dog friendly parks?

Hi folks. Are the parks in Cardiff dog friendly, i.e can they run off the lead. Mainly in Bute park, Pontcanna fields and Llandaff fields.

Thanks............Phredd.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog friendly parks?

Hi there

Dogs are allowed to run around off their leads in the parks you mention - there is currently no by-law that says they have to be on a lead.

However, speaking as someone who has been brought off their bicycle on the Taff Trail by a dog running across my path and then just stopping, I would appeal to dog owners to keep them under control, especially close to the cycle paths that run through the parks ...

Wales
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog friendly parks?

Llandaff/Pontcanna fields is popular with dog owners. But please bear in mind that there is a children's play area in the park, rugby and football pitches, and also children practising riding their bikes without stabilisers around the paths there. So dog owners need to have regard to other park users - cleaning up their dog's mess and keeping them under control near children. (Unfortunately I've had a few bad experiences when out with my 4 year old in that play park, of dog owners unable to control their animal and terrorising my son.)

Crab Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog friendly parks?

Great .

Thanks for the replies. Don't worry, we have a good supply of "poo bags" and the dogs are friendly and well behaved( except for postmen ).

Thanks.................Phredd.

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog friendly parks?

I am afraid that what you regard as a "friendly" dog might not appear to be the same as other people's view! Dogs off a lead are often seen as aggressive - how are we to know that your dog is not going to bite, bark loudly, chew my leg, or just frighten the hell out of me while you smile cheerfully and say how friendly it is!

Parks where children play should have dogs on a lead - and how do your dog know whether I am a postman or not?!

Crab Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog friendly parks?

Hi Sybil.

Hence my post in this forum, to ascertain whether or not I could let my dogs run free without terrifying the local populace. As it happens my two are extremely laid back and have never run up to strangers. They also love children, though they cannot eat more than two at one sitting (Joke, as was the one about the postman). But don't worry; our trip has been cancelled anyway.

Thanks for the replies..................Phredd.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog friendly parks?

sorry to hear you have had to cancel your trip Phredd, hope you can make it some time.

7. Re: Dog friendly parks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2011, 05:16