We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-Wales by train and back to Cardiff in time for tea!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-Wales by train and back to Cardiff in time for tea!

A relative of mine boldly went this week where no one has gone before it seems, but proved it could be done: starting from Cardiff she did a round trip by train through the heart of Wales and got back to Cardiff in time for tea and, what is more, she said the day was easy, relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable.

The Heart of Wales line is a well-known scenic train route from Swansea to Shrewsbury cutting through, as the name suggests, the heart of Wales, and taking you through rolling hills and valleys, past castles, under hills and over viaducts.

However, I didn’t realise that, in the morning at least, the train actually sets off from Cardiff at 8.09. You then have a five hour journey which takes you, via Swansea, up through mid Wales before you arrive at Shrewsbury. My relative and her friends arrived at Shrewsbury a little after 1pm. The train had a trolley service with hot and cold drinks, snacks and alcohol, however they chose to have lunch when they got to Shrewsbury and then had a few hours to explore. They then got a mainline Shrewsbury-Cardiff service back (which runs along the Wales-England border, also very scenic) which took a little over 2 hours, arriving back at Cardiff just before 6pm.

They thoroughly enjoyed the scenery and enjoyed their time in Shrewsbury too. Above all, she stressed how easy the whole day was.

I thought I would post this because many people ask about seeing the Welsh countryside when they visit Cardiff, but have their options restricted by the amount of time they have available for their visit, their budget, and the lack of private transport for getting into the heart of the countryside. This journey cost her £28 (although I must admit I am not sure how much the price may vary according to when you book).

If you try and search out the route online, the websites I have found default to the shorter Cardiff-Shrewsbury route along the Welsh borders, and I have not been able to find a way of demonstrating Cardiff-Shrewsbury via the Heart of Wales line. However, if you enquire direct to Arriva Trains Wales they can advise on how to book this particular circuit.

Next thing I have to do is try it out myself!

http://www.heart-of-wales.co.uk/tour.htm

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Swansea
Swansea
Swansea County, UK
Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury
Shropshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,974 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-Wales by train and back to Cardiff in time for tea!

To book online search Cardiff to Shrewsbury via Swansea and click on Direct Trains Only / No Changes - for the outward. You have to change it to omit Swansea to see times for the Return. The online booking don't usually accommodate different out and return routes if you want to make seat reservations.

£33 single, £35 off-peak day return, no need to buy in advance, and the ticket is valid on both routes. £28 might have been with a Railcard?

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury
Shropshire, UK
Swansea
Swansea
Swansea County, UK
Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
551 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-Wales by train and back to Cardiff in time for tea!

There is an option usually for 'via or avoid this station'. If you put via Llandeilo (or a station that you know to be on the Heart of Wales line only) this will ensure you have the correct route.

I'll second Jim's relation, it is a glorious train journey although from West Wales it's not really feasible as a day trip. We used it last autumn...and posted on here.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-Wales by train and back to Cardiff in time for tea!

There's a special ticket for the complete round trip called a Heart of Wales Circular ranger - cost £28 - which sounds like what OP's relative had.

Buy at main stations on the route - no need to do so in advance and I'm pretty sure not available online.

nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/…details.html

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Barry, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-Wales by train and back to Cardiff in time for tea!

Thanks to all of you.

I will keep it in mind for the next time I've a day free.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-Wales by train and back to Cardiff in time for tea!

couple of years ago they allowed any one with a seniors rail card or I think a bus pass for that area, free train ride, however it was so popular the regular commuters found difficulty getting on the train as it was overcrowded, and as it was subbed by the welsh assembly, it was stopped

6. Re: Mid-Wales by train and back to Cardiff in time for tea!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 06:29