We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury hotel treats for Christmas - which one is best

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury hotel treats for Christmas - which one is best

My partner has been working like a mad-man for the past two months (no weekends and up to 15 hour days) so I would like to treat him to a lovely hotel in Cardiff with a gym and pool over Christmas. My choices have narrowed down to Macdonald Holland House, St David's Spa, and the Hilton. Has anyone stayed in more than one of these and can recommend which to go for. They are roughly the same price (the Macdonald is the cheapest, followed by the Hilton, and then the David's Spa). We will be there for about 2 nights. Also, for Christmas eve, any suggestions of nice restaurants that might still take a booking?

Would be grateful for any input and help.

Thank you in advance!

Likely To Sell Out
Doctor Who Cardiff Locations Tour...
7 Reviews
from US$241.40*
Cardiff Day Trip from London
9 Reviews
from US$81.00*
Cardiff Castle Admission Ticket
4 Reviews
from US$17.80*
'Doctor Who' TV Locations Tour
12 Reviews
from US$39.80*
Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury hotel treats for Christmas - which one is best

I've not stayed there myself, but my firm recently hosted a seminar at the St Davids and by all accounts it's lovely - might appeal to your OH but the massages and facials are great, so my colleague assures me!

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury hotel treats for Christmas - which one is best

St Davids is very nice - but make sure you don't get a room on the first floor - my colleague from work stayed in a first floor room and had to compalin about the noise - they gave her a free night to compensate.

As St Davids is in the Bay there are lots of restaurants nearby - If you like Chinese food try the Pearl of the Orient - its excellent.Also, if you like Comedy - there is the Glee Club in the Bay - a great night out!

Wood restaurnat is nice but expensive but you will find loads on the Bay.

Bear in mind the Bay where St Davids hotel is located is away from the City Centre - only a 10 min taxi ride. Holland House is a 5 min walk from the city Centre - I haven't been there and lots of people locally have been saying its very nice - but St Davids is a 5 star!!

The Hilton is a typical Hilton but slap bang in the city Centre opposite the Castle

You will have a fab time in Cardiff whichever you choose to stay in

Have a happy Christmas break!

Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury hotel treats for Christmas - which one is best

I would pick Macdonald Holland House.