We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton meal Cardiff much better out there

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
752 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton meal Cardiff much better out there

Our meals at the Hilton Cardiff.

Due to being a member of the Hilton hotel I had some vouchers that I needed to be used up so, we chose to eat out on 2 consecutive Sundays.

The first Sunday the 15th August we booked for 1.00pm

Shown to our table gave my voucher to the duty manager.

We went for what normally is a wonderful selection of starters.

Well not what we expected at all a very limited selection. On glancing at the desserts they fared no better.

No little signs to let you know what you are eating, which if you had dietary requirements would be a problem.

There is a sign saying if you have special requirements to see a member of staff, but little labels like they used to would be much better.

Then the main meal.

Where do I start!! Frozen anaemic roast potatoes, meat sliced so thin you could practically see through it, all the veg was frozen except for the boiled potatoes in their skins. In one serving dish alone they had courgettes, string beans and peas!! I took a Yorkshire pudding bit in to it and it was cooked in dirty oil, disgusting. I saw nearly everyone’s come back.

A terrible meal if I was paying for it I would not have been amused.

To top it all the duty manager presented me with a bill!

Which was rectified.

Meal 2 taken on the 22nd, as we thought it cant is that bad 2 weeks running, as we have had some lovely meals there.

Starters selection slightly better deserts not, no cheese board!!

Main meal meat sliced better, much nicer veg; they actually put it in separate serving bowls, Yorkshires edible.

What I couldn’t understand and I have never seen it in any other restaurant I have eaten in, the young lady serving you the meat was actually then peeling buckets of carrots on the back of the serving area. Surely that is a kitchen porter’s job to do in the KITCHEN.

Would we eat there again or are we renewing our membership which we have had for 8 years NO.

Much nicer place to eat in the city.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
670 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton meal Cardiff much better out there

suggest you post this as a review of the hotel, you can do this even if you didn't stay there, otherwise your comments will disappear in the forum pages.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton meal Cardiff much better out there

Hilton in "rubbish" non-shocker

The chain is in serious decline IMO, they used to be run of the mill decent business hotels but corner-cutting is showing, particularly on the food. For a really appalling experience try the Dartford Bridge branch. Actually, come to think of it the one at East Midlands is no better

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
752 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton meal Cardiff much better out there

Hi, I have posted it on to their web site, also when I just received a phone call asking if I wanted to renew my membership, I said no, said why, no interest whatsoever.

Shame people will vote with their feet.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton meal Cardiff much better out there

Cant say I have has dinner there, but have stayed there (executive lounge) twice this year and fully enjoyed my stay.

The staff are excellent, breakfast is good and varied, the rooms are nice and the location very good,I have already booked to stay in December, and whilst I enjoy eating out in Cardiff so have not had dinner there, think the hotel is very good

5. Re: Hilton meal Cardiff much better out there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 05:16