We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free parking

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Free parking

Does anyone know if there Is there free parking in December in the city centre.Thankyou Jags.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free parking

You're having a laugh! I hate to say it, but Cardiff's reputation for parking is not the best.

There are park and ride services from County Hall in Cardif Bay and the A48 Eastern Avenue, which are better options than trying to drive into the city centre during the day at this time of year. If Cardiff City or the Blues aren't playing at home (like today) there's also a P&R service from the Cardiff City Stadium. There's some info here - visitcardiff.com/site/…park-and-ride.

If you really want to drive into the city centre, there are plenty of car parks but whichever one you choose don't go to the NCP multi-storey in Greyfriars Road - it's the most expensive car park you'll ever find. Cardiff Rugby Club are advertising all-day parking at the Arms Park on Westgate Street for £5, which is probably as good as it'll get until 5pm, after which time parking in St David's/John Lewis car parks is £1. There is on-street parking around the civic centre.

Seriously, during the day at this time of year, the queues around the city centre are dire. This page might help - www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp… .

Edited: 11 December 2010, 10:45
UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free parking

Cardiff are having a HUGE clampdown on parking at the moment - be really careful if you are going to park outside of an allotted car park. I find the John Lewis one the cheapest - if you can stand the curly entrance/exit ramps!

When I went in this morning, quite early, there were loads of signs in the Civic area for £5/£6 all day parking.

Edited: 11 December 2010, 11:49
Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free parking

Thanks both went to Swansea instead parking is free on Sundays.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free parking

I find it strange that a city like Cardiff does not have free parking near xmas, yet a small town like Carmarthen has it free on Saturdays for two weeks before xmas to get the punters in

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free parking

The red dragon centre at the bay has free parking for patrons. It's a bit of a roundabout way of getting free parking, and there will be cost involved. You could get your parking ticket validated/made free for the price of a couple of drinks, then hop on the baycar bus or the train into the centre of town for a relatively small fee.

If you fancied eating brunch or early dinner at red dragon as part of your day out anyway, then it might be worth considering. depends how many fares into town you would have to pay.

thereddragoncentre.co.uk/about-us/parking.php

bit late for the OP but just thought I'd add to the mix:-)

Edited: 13 December 2010, 17:38
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free parking

"I find it strange that a city like Cardiff does not have free parking near xmas, yet a small town like Carmarthen has it free on Saturdays for two weeks before xmas to get the punters in"

Hi Dai

Well, as (according to Experian) the biggest retail centre in the south west of the UK, Cardiff kicks places like Bristol and Bath firmly into touch through its wider range and mix of independent retailers and UK/international retailers, so it has no concerns about trying to attract punters and therefore the private car park providers can get away with charging what they do (scandalous though some of those charges are) because visitors can also enjoy all the other attractions of the city. Unfortunately the retail centres west of Sarn are highly unlikely to draw substantial numbers of people in from an area wider than the local/regional drive-to area.

That said, I think Cardiff has a good range of value for money parking options. Get in before 9.30am and you have a good chance of parking in Cathays Park for £3.50 all day. Also I bet no one knew that if you park in the Quay Street NCP Car Park, and then buy produce in Cardiff Indoor Market, the suppliers will validate your ticket so you only pay £3.50 all day (NCP have done nothing to advertise that option so spread the word fast!).

Also if you park in the SD2 Car park (with a few thousand places) it is £2 for 2 hours and then builds up to what are only reasonable charges thereafter with great space for parking and good security.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free parking

Probably just as well you didn't come to Cardiff, Jags - walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/…

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Free parking

It's good to see you posting again Jim. You've been missed

tenby
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free parking

free parking in swansea pay and display car parks on sundays until 5pm.

ncp multi storey car parks kingsway and orchard st all day sunday for £2.

ncp multi storey car parks kingsway and orchard st during the week have first hour free so £2.40 for two hours.

also park and rides £2.20 per car and for up to four people.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free parking

Free car parking in Carmarthen from 10th December till Christmas(?) in the council car park next to Wilkinsons. This may be the case in all the council car parks. There was a notice, but I was so late for my appointment because there were no spaces, that I didn't have time to read it. It was extremely busy and it was only a Tuesday.

I usually go by train but for various reasons had to take the car yesterday. Apparently there's a park and ride somewhere.

One of the big attractions of Cardiff for me is the relative lack of cars in the city centre.

Going to Swansea on Saturday, I'll be on the train, I'd rather stand than queue in a car park.