We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Admiral Cardiff Big Weekend

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Admiral Cardiff Big Weekend

We will be arriving in Cardiff on Sunday August 7th and found on a Cardiff tourist site info on the "Admiral Cardiff Big Weekend". We are 2 couples in our early 60's. Can anyone give me any other infor on what this festival entails? It sounds like fun and we need something to do that first night in town. Many thanks. Kelly

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Admiral Cardiff Big Weekend

The "Big weekend" is essentially a huge funfair in Cathays Park with live gigs taking place on the lawn in front of City Hall. However, each night there is a fireworks display.

The Big Weekend is actually part of the Cardiff Festival which lasts over a number of weeks, and involves all kinds of activities, from high brow to popular culture:

http://www.cardiff-festival.com/CFhome_e.htm

Mentioned in this post
Cathays Park
Cathays Park
90 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Wales
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Admiral Cardiff Big Weekend

Hi Kelly

It's great that there's something on the day you arrive in Cardiff, but I think it's fair to say that you may be rather older than the average of those attending the Big Weekend. That's not to say it's not your scene or you won't enjoy it, but the target audience is generally younger.

Where will you be staying?

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Admiral Cardiff Big Weekend

So am I right in assuming that the music will be geared at the teenagers and not us old fogies? We are at the Hilton which according to my map puts us pretty close. I'm sure everything else is closed Sunday evening so I guess we'll wander over there and enjoy the fireworks. Really excited about the trip. Kelly

Wales
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Admiral Cardiff Big Weekend

Hi Kelly

I suppose it's not so much what's on the stage. The BW does attract a wide audience range, to enjoy the bands and funfair, and as you'll experience at any festival many people are "tired and emotional" by the end of the day, especially if the weather's been good!

Nevertheless, it's a hugely popular event with the people of Cardiff - it's just not my scene ... :-)

Anyway, you'll be in just the right place to take it or leave it. The Hilton is right on the doorstep, so you can come and go as you like (it's all free). Keep an eye on the web link that Jim's pointed out for more info, and when you get to the BW they'll usually give out programes telling you what's on when.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Admiral Cardiff Big Weekend

I've been to this event a few times in the past.

The only older generation band I have seen was the Proclaimers. I'm sure there will be something there to suit your tastes though.

6. Re: Admiral Cardiff Big Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 10:16