We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to cardiff

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
driving to cardiff

Hi, i am driving to cardiff soon from scotland. most routes say to leave m5 at m50 and down a49 to m4. This is shortest route. However some friends have told me i should continue down to cross on one of the severn bridges.

Which is best.............thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to cardiff

M50, A40, A449, no question

It's definitely quicker if coming from the north, and you won't have to pay the bridge toll (NB tolls are only payable on the way into Wales)

It's a fast route on the M50 route - just a couple (OK, three I think) roundabouts to negotiate at Ross on Wye, and another roundabout and a set of traffic lights at Monmouth. But it's a fair few miles less than using M5/M4. It's signed off the M5 to "South Wales", follow those signs and then when in Wales at Monmouth follow signs for Newport - very easy

Nicer scenery too

Edited: 30 August 2011, 10:30
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to cardiff

Both can work. I take it you want a route for speed rather than a scenic route which could take you through mid wales?

Edited: 30 August 2011, 11:37
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to cardiff

I always do the M5/M4 route as you can put your foot down all the way, something you can't do on the M50/A449 route although it is much more scenic. In terms of total time though there is little to separate the routes.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
205 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to cardiff

I never understand the people that take the M5 route, it is quicker / cheaper / more scenic to take the M50. You need to pay the bridge cost to get into Wales (I think £5.70) for no reason. The M50 is very straight forward and generally the route is more quiet. Only caution is that speed cameras tend to be just outside Ross on Wye near Goodrich where there is a 2 mile stretch at 50mph.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,252 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to cardiff

+1 for M50/A449.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to cardiff

M50/A40/A449 gets my vote, no tolls, quiet motorway and quick too.

Edited: 30 August 2011, 18:30
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to cardiff

<<I never understand the people that take the M5 route, it is quicker / cheaper / more scenic to take the M50.>>

Let me explain then! The M50 route is definitely more scenic and yes cheaper when you account for the bridge toll, but I have never found it quicker, and I have been driving between the Midlands and Cardiff for about 15 years. Don't be deceived by the fact that you see the "Welcome to Wales" sign sooner on that route than you do if you take the M5/M4 route! However, next time I do the route I will take the M50/A449 to see if the roundabouts at Ross, the traffic lights at Monmouth, and the queues at junction 24 have got any better!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
205 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving to cardiff

Obviously individual choice but you can always ignore GPS / majority of people advice. I travel the route twice a week and unless any known problems will continue going the quicker route. Maybe I am not aware of the tolls and queues not existing anymore on the Severn Bridge (they were there last time). You would also find that junction 24 has improved as there is now a dedicated lane to take you M4 westbound from the North. As I mentioned it is down to individual choice, I'm only giving my choice and have never found any logic in going the M4 / M5 route and have still not seen any logical reasons here.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving to cardiff

lol Rhooseboy! I can see a BBC Wales news report emerging here (you know how short of hard news they are!). You do one route, I do the other and we see who emerges first! :-)

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving to cardiff

Has to be M50 route, and this decision after after 30 years of driving it and arguing on the same topic with colleagues.

Your only concerns will be possible hold up coming into Monmouth at 5.00pm weekdays (although these are rarely any big deal) and the frequent mobile speed cameras (as rightly pointed out by Rhooseboy) at Pencraig and also south of Raglan.

Get answers to your questions about Cardiff
Recent Conversations