We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
315 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

I am thinking of spending 4 nights in one area/town, and doing day trips to Caerphilly, Tintern Abbey, Chepstow Castle, Blenarven Iron works, Welsh life village.

I was thinking of Chepstow itself, but it seems to have limited hotel facilities. Should I consider Cardiff? Is it hard to do day trips from there because of traffic?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

What are your accommodations requirements? I don't understand your concern about Chepstow. If you can find the right place for yourself, does it matter that there are not dozens more just like it?

If I was doing this type of holiday, I would look for a farm B&B. See http://www.farmstay.co.uk/ and search on Wye & Usk Valley.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

As ronw has said, If you can find the perfect hotel in Chepstow then go for it. Cardiff will obviously have a lot more choice in hotels nightlife etc.

Other places to consider staying in are Abergavenny or Crickhowell.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

You might like to consider the Lychgate for B&B, it has a good reputation locally.

Situated right by Caldicot Castle country park, where you can enjoy pleasant walks and the ruins of Caldicot castle. 10 minutes drive into Chepstow, about 15 minutes to Tintern. Local railway station in Caldicot for trains to Cardiff or Cheltenham Spa (if you don't want to drive every day). About a 15 min drive to join the M48 motorway at Magor (Jn 23a) to drive into Cardiff (total driving time 40mins), Caerphilly (45mins), Blaenavon (50mins).

http://www.thelychgate.co.uk/Welcome.html

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

It would help if you told us whether you will have a car, or be reliant on public transport. That will make a big difference as to what sort of places to recommend. Also, are you looking for somewhere quiet to retreat to in the evening, or a town with a choice of restaurants and pubs?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
315 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

Thanks for great info!

I was looking at the George in Chepstow, but the rooms are above the Pub and I think it may be a bit noisey.

I am looking at the lychgate.

Our ideal venue would be a place where we can return to after day trips, and have a decent meal and a lager or two, without having to drive.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
315 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

Sorry pool, did not read your post before I replied.

Yes, we will have a car.

Probably a town with a choice of pubs, :-).

I was thinking Cardiff, but don't know if my my DH could do city traffic very well.

He has driven all around UK and Ireland, but not major cities( has driven inYork and outskirts of Manchester.).

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

Re. The Lychgate mentioned in post #3

It's literally just across the (little) road from the Castle Inn, Caldicot, which does very good food.

thelychgate.co.uk/Booking_files/shapeimage_1…

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

Hello, I'm afraid I can't comment on the accommodation but Chepstow and Caldicot are small, pleasant towns where you'd be made to feel welcome. You could probably 'do' Caerphilly and Blaenafon in one day, don't miss the heritage centre in the centre of town. The exhibition is very interesting and I found the timeline around the walls fascinating. It may be nice to go to Caerphilly first and then drive towards Blaenafon via Ystrad Mynach. There is a heritage route which points out where the old workings would have been such as the Varteg Incline.....It's a small road but with one lane either side and no problem. If you'd like more info please PM me and I'll give you specific directions. The ironworks are very interesting and free!

One last note re DH and driving-if he can find his way around Atlanta then the UK is easy!!!

Mwynhewch-Enjoy!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
315 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

You are great with info. I will take advantage of your experience! Thanks so much!

I am leaning towards the Lynchgate and Caldicot.

Blorengia, are there other pubs/restaurants nearby?

Does anyone know if Caldicot Castle still has Medieval Banguets?

I am also interested in Abergavenny.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Base in Wales for Chepstow Castle, Caerphilly?

Re. Caldicot

It's a small place - many older residents still refer to it as 'the village' but I think it just about qualifies as a small town. There's another pub (The Haywain) about 10mins walk from the Lychgate which does typical pub food and another 10 mins in the other direction (The Tippling Philosopher) but I haven't eaten there for a few years so I don't know what it's like. There're also a couple of good fish & chip shops and the usual range of Chinese and Indian take-aways. I'm sorry to say that the medieval banquets at Caldicot castle ceased about 4 years ago. There are other nice pub places to eat within 30 mins drive.

Chepstow is bigger than Caldicot and has a greater variety of eating places.

Abergavenny is also a very nice small town, well worth considering as a base.

Get answers to your questions about Cardiff