We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What To Do?

Kansas City...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What To Do?

45 Y/O American visiting Cardiff for the first time for a few days in October. Will be alone. Not into bars or clubs. Into lots of walking and museums and sights. Could someone please recommend a quiet hotel (not near bars or nightlfe) but within the city so I can walk everywhere. Not looking to do anything special and have no agenda - just whatever moves me! Plan to arrive in Cardiff by coach from Heathrow. Days of the week are very flexible too. Very content sitting in hotel room, it just seems like a waste.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,660 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What To Do?

http://www.visitcardiff.com/

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What To Do?

I would suggest you definitely pitch for one of the character Victorian hotels/guest houses on Cathedral Road, such as the Beaufort, the Town House, Number 62, or the Lincoln House Hotel (there are others it's just these are the ones which spring to mind first. All of them are within yards of Bute Park (several hundred acres of city centre parkland) which you can walk through to get to all the city centre sights of this compact city whilst being away from the noise of the city centre. You are within a 15 minute walk of the castle, the Civic Buildings including the museum (Cardiff's collection of Civic buildings in its Civic Centre is considered one of the finest in Britain), the Victorian and Edwardian covered shopping lanes, and the river bus to the Bay.

Then visit the Tourist Information Centre in the city centre where the staff will be able to give you advice on a whole range of ways to spend your time, including tours within and beyond the city.

I hope that helps. Have a great time and croeso i Gaerdydd!

Edited: 18 September 2011, 03:42
Kansas City...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What To Do?

Great information. Thanks!

Wales
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What To Do?

If you like walking around cities, and would like to learn more about Cardiff's history, Cardiff History and Hauntings offer some great walks, and come recommended on TA.

http://www.cardiffhistory.co.uk/

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What To Do?

Not sure how many your "few days" extends to but, if you wanted to venture out of Cardiff by train/bus you could easily go to Swansea then bus to the Gower peninsula for walking or, in the other direction, Chepstow for the oldest stone castle in Wales and a short bus ride up the Wye Valley to Tintern and the famous Tintern Abbey ruins.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What To Do?

I too recommend Cathedral Road for a hotel choice. As well as Jim's suggestions you might want to consider Elgano's B&B. He is an accommodating Welshman who will teach you some Welsh if you like!

www.elgano.co.uk/bnb

There is also a bus from Cardiff to the Brecon Beacons National Park:

www.travelbreconbeacons.info/beacons-bus

Lots of walking to do there.

7. Re: What To Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Cardiff
Recent Conversations