We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak Times Travelling from Cardiff to Gatwick Airport

Cardiff
5 posts
Save Topic
Peak Times Travelling from Cardiff to Gatwick Airport

I am due to travel to Gatwick airport in the near future from Cardiff by car. I am aware the journey will take about 3 hours. Can anyone advise me when peak times are please? I will be travelling to Gatwick airport during the afternoon, the day before I fly.

Any advise will be appreciated. Many thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peak Times Travelling from Cardiff to Gatwick Airport

Peak times around the M25 are around 4pm to 7.30pm on the section between the M4 and M23 - and the M4 can build up between Reading J11 & the M25 after around 4pm too - I used to do this commute every day, and hated it ! So if you want to avoid the worst of the traffic around London then I'd suggest leaving Cardiff by 1.30pm, or leave it until after the evening rush hour clears around Newport and Bristol - though this would mean a late arrival at Gatwick.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 23:15
Cardiff
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peak Times Travelling from Cardiff to Gatwick Airport

Many thanks for your help.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peak Times Travelling from Cardiff to Gatwick Airport

I am assuming you are driving on a weekday. If so, leaving after lunch about 2pm (avoiding the lunchtime traffic on M4 between Cardiff and Bristol. Depending on your speed, you will hit the M25 at in 2 - 2.5 hours at about 4pm and that will be before the rush. It takes about another 30 minutes to Gatwick.

If you are going on a Friday, my advice is to go in the morning after 9 am as the M25 southwards to Gatwick will be very busy with cars going to the south coast.

We have driven from Cardiff to Gatwick about 11 times but usually on a Saturday and departed at around 2 pm -3 pm arriving at Gatwick in 2.5 or 3 hours. (when there were no roadworks or accidents.) Longest time taken was 4-5 hours.

On the way back on a sunday, traffic gets busy after 6 pm with people returning to London from Brighton. Good luck.

Cardiff
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Peak Times Travelling from Cardiff to Gatwick Airport

Many thanks for your advice. I will return to Cardiff very late on a Thursday night. The flight due to land at about 9pm so I assume their be no traffic during that time?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peak Times Travelling from Cardiff to Gatwick Airport

Should be a breeze driving back to Cardiff at that time of night. just hope that there is no major roadworks that day as they normally start closing down to one lane after 9pm until 6am.

Drove to Heathrow yesterday, only major roadworks were in Bristol part of M4 with 50 mph speed restriction. That added 20 minutes to our journey time to Heathrow and it was 5 am in the morning.

6. Re: Peak Times Travelling from Cardiff to Gatwick Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:41
Get answers to your questions about Cardiff
Recent Conversations