We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

We are going up to Cardiff this weekend and staying at cardiff bay. (Holiday inn express)

Everywhere we are reading is saying it's walk-able to the city center but last time we went up there we tried following the road signs from the city center (as that's all we could find) and it tried taking us up the dual carriage way, which obviously we couldn't walk on.

This was past the motopoint and the big sleep hotel.. turn right and under the bridge past the big carpark.. (if you know cardiff I think you'll know where I mean)

We'd really rather just leave our car at the hotel if we can so can anyone help?

I know cardiff reasonably well (other than that bit) so can any one give any hints of where we actually need to walk and how long it will take?

Thanks for any help!

Bex

Cardiff
Level Contributor
380 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

If you want to walk, I think your hotel is at the end of schoner way if so just walk down schoner way and turn left at the end into Tyndall street and then into Herbert street one runs into the other, thyen as I remember go under bridge and you should see another bridge on the right go under that brige and you are at the end of mill lane and st marys street, personally I would not recomend this walk at night, thats my opinion and it is only a personal opinion the walk depending on how fast you walk but about 15-20 minutes should be about right if going at nigt just take a taxi should be no more than £4

Edited: 24 August 2012, 12:26
St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

Where do I find a taxi rank in cardiff? Is there be one near the motopoint?

Wales
Level Contributor
2,252 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

Steve's description is right. It sounds as if your mistake in the past was to turn right at the top of Schooner Way instead of left.

The alternative route is to turn left onto Letton Road at the footbridge that goes over the canal, where Schooner Way takes a sharp right hand turn. Go past the primary school and turn right onto Lloyd George Avenue. Turn left under the railway bridge at the top, then right under another railway bridge and you'll find yourself opposite John Lewis.

If it's Saturday night you're here, the best place to get a taxi will be at the bottom end of St Mary Street, just past the Marriott Hotel, where they'll be lined up waiting. Don't be surprised if they're not very happy at taking you a relatively short distance though. If you're lucky there will be marshalls at the rank who will "manage" the situation for you.

Hope you enjoy.

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

Really? Would the taxi drivers not want to drive from the town to the bay? Got me slightly worried now, don't want to be stuck in a taxi with a grumpy driver, but nor do I want to walk anywhere late at night!

Will try the walking in day light and see row it goes!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

< Would the taxi drivers not want to drive from the town to the bay? >

Small fare then they go to the back of the taxi rank

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

I've taken a short taxi ride from Cardiff city centre many times and never had ant attitude from the drivers!

Wales
Level Contributor
2,252 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

I live close to the Holiday Inn Express and personally, I haven't had a problem either, but many drivers are reluctant to lose their place on the rank to do what they perceive as a low value journey.

The walk from Motorpoint to the H Inn Express is only about 15 mins max - it's hardly in Cardiff Bay - and I do agree with Steve that it's not the most pleasant walk, but the fact is that some taxi drivers may not want to do the trip.

This is why the rank is usually marshalled, to ensure drivers do take the shorter runs. There's also a nighttime premium on the metered fare.

8. Re: Walking From Cardiff Bay to City Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 06:16