We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

castle coch

devon uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
281 reviews
Save Topic
castle coch

Would like to visit castle coch - can any body recommend a hotel nearby. Reasonable price, but comfortable, car park and dinner .

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: castle coch

HI Pilgrim51

You are literally in my neighbourhood!

There are two main hotels within a few minutes of Castell Coch: The Quality Hotel is within walking distance on the edge of Tongwynlais (where the castle is situated). I've no experience but the reviews are mixed (and my own experience of the Quality chain elsewhere in the past has not been good). Also within (more of a) walking distance or a very short drive is the Village Hotel. It is a much bigger one with an excellent health and fitness club and large swimming pool, sauna, steam room, treatment centre etc, a pub, cafe and a restaurant. The main downside of this hotel seems to be that reviewers feel it is overpriced but it is modern and comfortable and has more facilities. The food in the restuarant on my last experience was fine but nothing to write home about. You do feel as if you are in a modern and comfortable chain.

While you are in the area, I would recommend that you see Cardiff Castle as well as Castell Coch - the latter is really an outpost of the former, rebuilt and remodelled as the summer retreat of the Marquis of Bute who took his fantasies much further in his work on Cardiff Castle. Castell Coch is magically spectacular though in its setting - you have to pinch yourself to remind yourself that you are still in the UK, and not the Loire!

While you're in the area I would recommend you walk up Garth Mountain across the valley above Gwaelod-o-Garth. The village pub is excellent and reaching the peak leaves you towering over the surrounding countryside and northern Cardiff with views down to the Bay and across the Bristol Channel.

Also, you are right on the Taff trail which you could follow southwards on foot for a few miles for a short excursion to Llandaff and the Cathedral.

Also check out Gelynis farm, across the river Taff from Castell Coch - they make their own wine and ice cream in fact they even do B and B so - here's a thought - why don't you check that out for a place to stay - the original farm building is very old and listed but recently refurbished. It's a shame the M4 motorway is less than half a mile away!

www.gelynisfarm.co.uk

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: castle coch

.... oh by the way forgot to mention that Garth mountain was where they filmed the closing scenes of 'The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain' if that means anything to anyone....

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: castle coch

Jim: I saw that movie and quite enjoyed it!

devon uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: castle coch

Jim

thank you - thats really helpful information - particularly about Cardiff Castle -I must admit that thought was in my mind but I was not sure - but now feel convinced. I can agree with your comments about Quality Hotels. I have only stayed in one and that was purely becasue it was totally convenient to my son's university - not somewhere i would pick normally. Have wanted to see Castle Coch for over 30 years and this seems to be the year I will finally get there!

Pilgrim

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: castle coch

Hi Pilgrim51

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Jim

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: castle coch

If you have time I would aslo suggest a visit to the Museum of Welsh Life, which is about 20 mins drive from Castle Coch along the M5 motorway - easy to find.

If you don't fancy taking the car, look at: www.southwalestours.com. They do local tours of the area & include Castle Coch, Cardiff Castle & Caerphilly Caslte - all are worth a visit & not too far apart.