We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to the Castle

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sandy Springs...
Level Contributor
42 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Transport to the Castle

Hello.

Thank you in advance for your help!

My husband and I will be staying in Cardiff later this month. We're staying in the Central are (Radisson Blu). We'd like to visit Cardiff Castle while we are there. I have seen several places that the distance is 3.5 km, but I haven't located how we'll get there. It doesn't sound like that is walking distance, especially not if the weather is poor. How do you recommend getting to the castle from the city center? I've searched the forums, and I didn't see this.

Thank you so much!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to the Castle

Google maps will give you walking directions (they're very straightforward) - around half a mile or 11 minutes. You will need to select the walk symbol as the driving directions are different due to one way system.

https://maps.google.co.uk/

Cardiff
Level Contributor
360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to the Castle

Very easy to get to the castle from your hotel. Your hotel is right opposite John Lewis store. Just cross the road outside your hotel , go past John Lewis on the left side and walk straight up The Hayes, keep going for about 400 yards and you are opposite the castle. Once you are past John Lewis it is all pedestrianised so is quite a pleasant walk.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,804 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to the Castle

It is not as far as 3.5km. It's not a bad walk at all. We stayed in the Radisson Blu earlier this year, and I think it probably took us about thirty minutes to get to the castle, but that included walking through John Lewis and looking at some of the things, plus a bit of window shopping on the way, so it can be done much quicker than that if you don't linger!

By walking through John Lewis and the shopping mall you can avoid much of the rain if the weather is poor. It was when we were there!

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to the Castle

Not only is it not 3.5km, it's not nearly that far.

Ten minutes walk at an easy pace.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to the Castle

As C0rnc0b said it's not 3.5 KM its 0.5 miles - 10 mins max. Google map here via St Mary street or as someone else said go via the shopping centre.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d4154!2d-3.1778605!3d51.4789349!2m1!1e3!4m19!3m18!1m5!1sRadisson+Blu+Hotel+Cardiff%2C+Meridian+Gate%2C+Bute+Terrace%2C+Cardiff+CF10+2FL%2C+United+Kingdom!2s0x486e1cb418fafb93%3A0xb6ef83736c407cdc!3m2!3d51.477034!4d-3.173755!1m1!1sCardiff+Castle%2C+Castle+St%2C+Cardiff+CF10+3RB%2C+United+Kingdom!2e2!3m8!1m3!1d3014!2d-3.1753217!3d51.4774073!3m2!1i1366!2i642!4f13.1&fid=0i7

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to the Castle

Happy to confrm it's only half a mile. But maybe include St John's Church built around 1100. Well worth a visit and you'll walk past it if you chose that route (but oly 200 yards from the castle if you go a different way)

Sandy Springs...
Level Contributor
42 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to the Castle

Thank you all so much!!

Edited: 15 December 2013, 23:14
8. Re: Transport to the Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:16